Post offices and mail order offices

zoegraf

Craftsman at heart
While working on my module,

http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31054&page=3

I've learned that it was common that rural post offices would be next to or close to the train depot/station.

I want to scratch build or kit bash a a little Simpsons Sears order office.

When Sears was looking for a partner in Canada, they ended up with Simpsons, which is why it was called Simpsons Sears until 1978 in Canada.

If anyone can direct me to any images of a rural Sears order office or have any info or memories of one, please share.

Sears catalog stores used to be in every small town. Usually they were small buildings, either in downtown shopping districts, strip malls, or (especially in rural areas) stand-alone buildings. Typically the front half had a small showroom for items such as lawnmowers or appliances. There was a counter that ran across the room with two or three stations at it, where clerks processed orders. Between the clerks stations there were often sloped counters with the catalogs opened up on them, and places to stand and fill out order forms. Behind the counters in the back warehouse is where the delivered merchandise was, waiting to be picked up. Sometimes the shelves of boxes were visible to the showroom; in other locations there was a partition with Sears ads all over them.

Most of those stores in the U.S. are gone now. The few that remain are now called "Sears Hometown Stores".

This is a typical stand-alone Sears store:
12-29%20web%20Sears%20store.jpg

... and this is one in a strip mall:
5771586.JPG

Sears in the U.S. at least has changed its logo a couple of times since these photos were taken.

searsevolutionA.jpg

Sears catalog stores used to be in every small town. Usually they were small buildings, either in downtown shopping districts, strip malls, or (especially in rural areas) stand-alone buildings. Typically the front half had a small showroom for items such as lawnmowers or appliances. There was a counter that ran across the room with two or three stations at it, where clerks processed orders. Between the clerks stations there were often sloped counters with the catalogs opened up on them, and places to stand and fill out order forms. Behind the counters in the back warehouse is where the delivered merchandise was, waiting to be picked up. Sometimes the shelves of boxes were visible to the showroom; in other locations there was a partition with Sears ads all over them.

Most of those stores in the U.S. are gone now. The few that remain are now called "Sears Hometown Stores".

This is a typical stand-alone Sears store:
12-29%20web%20Sears%20store.jpg

... and this is one in a strip mall:
5771586.JPG

Thanks for sharing; interesting and helpful.

I found a shot of one in Niagara Falls 1965. It is not a stand alone, but I could model something like it or kit bash a bldg similar to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back