Pointers needed to sell N-scale items

Pipestretcher

Gentlemen,
I currently have a small cache of N-scale items that I am considering selling. I don't believe any of it is of great value, but I'm sure it is in good operational condition.

My problem...I'm not sure what the most effective way of selling it would be. I don't know if I can properly identify all of it or not. Would it be better to take pictures and post them so that folks can make an offer, or should I do the research and generate a list of items?

Thanks for your help!

If you have a magnifying glass you can often find the makers name on the bottom of locomotives and railcars. Both of your marketing ideas are good.....and used together might be best....imho. The numerous experts here could help indentify specific models from photos.

Are we talking modern models (as in date of manufacture, not prototype age) or older stuff pre-dating DCC? If it's newer stuff then post pictures (one item per shot if you can) and you're bound to get some hits on these very boards. :)

Generally speaking, old = junk with a couple of exceptions, for example brass or a custom item run in limited numbers such as specially marked boxcars given away at a convention.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the very least, I would suggest making photos so that prospective customers can see what they are getting, even if you can't identify all of the items yourself.

As for where to sell, you could try the For Sale forum right here on Model Railroad Forums. Another good place is N-Scale Yard Sale, a friendly, well-run group on Yahoo.

- Jeff

Back