Plymouth MDT?

PartsMan

New N gauge guy
I was looking at Bachmann's Plymouth MDT 0-6-0 switcher for my little layout.
Anybody know which real model this is made after?
I tried Google but got many different models and none of them looked the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our local zoo recently aquired a 30 ton Plymouth 4 wheel loco that looks like an Athearn Hustler. I found this web site that shows almost all types of Plymouths. I am not familiar with the Bachmann loco but it looks like 6 wheel versions are WDT. www.northeast.railfan.net/diesel124.html Hope this helps. Tom

The closest thing to a real Plymouth would be a 40-45 WDT but there are no Plymouth models that served as the basis of the MDT. It's a pure fantasy locomotive. In addition, it doesn't run very well and, because of its short wheelbase, it has problems with stalling in switches. If you want an accurate, good running small switcher, I'd suggest the Bachmann Spectrum 44 tonner, 45 tonner, ot 70 tonner. I think you'd be a lot happier with any of those than the MDT.

I have one in N scale and another in HO. The HO version will easily pass over a properly laid #6 turnout at about 5 scale mph. It will run on clean and level track at about 2.5 mph (scale).

The N Scale is also a good performer after about a 4 hour break in period, running both directions and at a range of speeds. It crawls slowly (haven't measured how fast) and will pass over a Peco electrofrog medium radius turnout without any discernible change of speed.

I am impressed with both as low cost switchers for my simple layout (used to be HO, now N ).

Tim

A friend of mine had one several years ago that he got as part of a train set. It's possible that Bachmann has upgraded the MDT mechanism so it runs better now but his was awful. It would not go through a #4 switch without stalling, had a high starting speed, was very sensitive to dirty track, and could pull four cars on level track. My main objection to the Bachmann MDT though is that it's a fantasy unit, a locomotive that never existed. I figure if I'm going to try to be a model railroader, I should at least get models that are reasonable representations of the real thing. Why buy a Bachmann MDT that's straight DC for an average price of $30 when you can get an accurate, well detailed Bachmann GE 70 tonner with DCC already installed at http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/HO_Scale_70_Ton_Switcher_s/2051.htm for only a few dollars more?

I have heard that the new Chinese ones run better.
(I never thought I would say that???)

I really like the MDT because it's little. That GE 70 would be almost as big as my GP40.

BTW the more I read about DCC the less intrested I am.

This is confusing with everyone talking different scales and all. I thought the OP was talking N scale?

This is confusing with everyone talking different scales and all. I thought the OP was talking N scale?

Good point.
That would be bigger than my N scale GP40.:)

Anyway I ordered the MDT from my hobby shop.
I'll give a full report. Next week hopfully.

Back