Physical disability, layout height pro's and cons. Help please.

JimT

Wednesday is my first "lumber day" layout building is that close. Like everyone planning a layout I've been thinking in terms of 48 inches up as a starting benchwork height. Today something hit me. I'm 62 now, and disabled. Standing is a problem for me. Last Sunday I spoke in Church for 45 minutes and the effort to stand that long finished me off for the day. When I work around the house and stuff it's 30 minutes on and hour off.....

I might not be able to enjoy a layout with a 48 inch high minimum. This hadn't occured to me before as my previous layouts were built when I was completely healthy. As of today I'm thinking about 30 inches, or "table high", and up from there, what does everyone think? It will change what I'm going to do with the "non optional" wall air conditioner, I'll need to find a way around it, It will be super hot here, as much as 130 in two-three months. The wall unit in addition to the forced central air makes the room usable for "activity".

This is a little upsetting for me as I have planned on the basis of 48 inch plus benchwork. Thinking about it I can't see how I can raise it higher than table (chair height) and still be able to use it, build it, play and be happy. Any thoughts, I'm thinking in five directions now.

Thought about that, especially one with cupholders I just don't know, I might do it anyway the cupholders are very attractive. I'm worried about all that goes along with it. I hope to be tinkering for years. Funny that I just remembered I'm not 35-40 anymore. Thanks for the response.

Wow, where are you that it's 116 already? I'm in Havasu, it's 88 and I'm already bracing for summer. My air is programmed for 85 degrees and even then $200 is a normal summer electric bill (reference winter $38-$43)

Jim:

I'm in my 60's with certain limitations and my layout is 50 inches above the floor and higher in several spots. I find that the width of the layout is more important than the height when it comes to standing and reaching over to work on the layout. Consider a shelve layout point to point or a folded dog bone design.

Thanks.

Greg

Greg, I was speaking about a minimum not a maximum of 30 inches or so. Still wondering. What are the drawbacks for others, visitors etc. Im pretty sure I wouldn't be able to stand long enough to do the work, much less enjoy a semi finished project at 4' plus.

Many years ago a few of us helped build a layout for a buddy who had MS and pretty much confined to a wheelchair. The framing for the benchwork had to be high enough to allow him to be able to manuever the arms of the wheelchair underneath so he could get his arms and body close to the layout. The legs were far enough in from the edges so as not to be in the way of his wheelchair and yet still provide stability. The shape was a sort of rectangular donut shape, approx 12 feet long by 8 feet wide across the ends. The actual flat surface for the tracks and scenery was only 22 inches wide all around as that was the limit of a comfortable reach for him while seated. Trackwork was layed mostly to the outermost sides and buildings and hills toward the center. The layout was in the center of a room to provide access for him on all 4 sides. It worked out well for him during the years he was able to use it.

I also have some limits that I have to watch. The back is just bad enough to be a bother but not bad enough for Drs to do anything with so I'm stuck. I have my table at just about belt high, I'm 6'3", its high enough to make it easy to work on and reach over where ever I need to, also its high enough for me to get under for the wiring that I just took my time at doing. The stool sounds like a really good idea and you can get them with casters on the to move around if needed too.
Good luck with your decision.

David

I'm only 41, but I've been giving the back issues issue some thought. Things may not be as easy on my back in the future and I wanted to plan for it. My layout is at 36 inches right now. It seems right, but I don't know if it will be in the future. My layout was originally around 30 inches. That was too low for me.

Please let us know what you've come up with.

If you're thinking about the possibility of being wheelchair bound, or at least to a certain extent, then the lower 30" to me seems more accessible and comfortable. 36" is what most kitchen benches are set at, which is fine for preparing food etc when standing. If you're thinking of what's comfortable when standing to operate a layout, then going higher is much to be preferred. 48"-54" will keep you much more upright than 36". This is all of course based on being average to tall yourself.

The other requirement to avoid excessive bending or reaching (the worst things for your back), is to keep the layout narrow, no more than 24" wide.

I would get the nice bar-stool first, get one that is super comfy. Then experiment with layout heights and see what feels good to you.

Thank you everyone, my back isn't a serious issue, I know how to deal with my back. My problem is heart disease (post 2 major heart attacks) diabetes and hyper tension. My blood goes farther sitting for sure. I will make the efforts necessary building, it's the play time I beginning to think about. It's so nice of you all to use your time and effort to think about this stuff..

How about making it height-adjustable? My layout, a 6'x10' walkaround, is suspended from the ceiling by cables, and goes up and down on a winch. I can raise it up to 6 ft off the floor so that i can work on it underneath (and so the room can be used for other things) and can lower it down to any height, or even put it on the floor.

Another approach would be to have a sort of scissor-jack mechanism to raise it up from the floor.

Jacks and cable systems are complicated, and expensive. I'm think the lowest level at 36 inches and see how that goes. Of course that may put the air conditioner into play but I'll face that when I have to.

Although I have some back issues that aren't serious (for now), I have always built my layouts with the minimum level 30-32" AFL (Above Floor Level), with a rise to 36" AFL. Why? So I can operate sitting down, if I desire, and also so that small kids (grandkids and their friends, etc., can see the layout without using platforms, stools, etc. Makes it easy to get right down at grade level as the trains go by.

Another reason that came up when I built the additional room on my house, was that the building code required windows in two places that were 36" AFL at the bottom, and large enough to evacuate the house if necessary! To pass inspection, I made the width of the layout no more than 18" where the track passes under the windows. Not sure what you will have to do to avoid the A/C unit, but perhaps a jog around it would work.

So, I would suggest following my plan. Best of luck.

Hi JimT,

Rather than lowering the benchwork is there any way that you could build a platform so that you could be seated and operate your layout and this way if you have to stand up you would be able to reach everything. I was thinking of just a decking style of platform along the front of the layout.

I'm 60, have same problems except the Heart issues. Built mine at 36" with highest track level at 48". my main reason for 36" though was the kids and later, Grand kids. It's high enough that the little ones can't reach it, but once old enough to run it they can reach most all of it. I can sit in a chair and run it all day long without getting up.
If you think there may be a wheelchair in your future, plan for it now..

Great advice from many. My "wood guy/truck" didnt show up today, we made a new date for Friday. His forgetting this morning means I can call him and remind him Friday morning. I am leaning toward the 36 to 48 inch advice right now. New advice welcome.

Consider having an office chair, the type with arms and 6 casters so that you have somewhere to rest when need be but is easy to manoeuvre around. As mentioned above (re the wheelchair), make the layout structure, including fascia, high enough to clear the arms, so you can get in close when necessary.

For working under the layout, at one of my clubs (old fellas mostly) they have a couple of garage mechanic's creepers with the plastic seat part from a kitchen chair bolted to it, so it's reclining at about a 45Deg angle, to make things easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
I raised mine from 42" to 57" to help my back problem. I now stand straight at the railroad and do not lean over. I can rest the upper part of my chest on the fascia, I can rest my elbows on roadbed with my arms almost level. Mine is a shelf railroad, with the deepest part 24".
I do have padded bar stools which work well and move easily. And I have a work table under the railroad where I can sit in a comfortable chair and good lighting.

Back