Photos of my old N scale layout.

montanan

Whiskey Merchant
Here's some photos of my old N scale layout that I came across while doing remodeling work during the summer.

These photos are only from one corner of the layout. I had 11 scale miles of main line that could take as long as 20 minutes to make a lap around the layout. I started a small N scale layout when I got out of the service, small enough to slide under a bed in the early 70's. It was incorporated into this layout when I was finally ably to move back home to Montana and had a basement to expand.

Unfortunately at the time, the locomotives available were for the most part, lousy. out of 30 some locomotives I think I may have had 5 or 6 that I would call reliable and good running locomotives. Another thing that really bugged me back then was the lack of different road names available. Nothing available at all for the railroads I was interested in. It was torn down about 1981 to make room for my HO scale layout. It occupied a room roughly 24 by 17 feet.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

If the locomotives that are available today were available back then, I would probably still be in N scale.

Great looking layout Chet. I always like looking back on my old layout ( s ) , always helps me realize what I liked on the previous layout and carried through to the new layout.

Every layout is a learning experience. You can figure out what went wrong, why interests you and you gain skills you didn't have before. I really never had a plan for this layout to the extent that I have on my HO scale layout, but back then quite a lot of things were not available in the hobby like we have now.

Back