pewter trackside boxes

BigE

I have a couple of those little HO cast pewter trackside electrical relay boxes from Details West.
Will my regular old Testors enamel model paint stick to them?

P9240028.jpg

I have a couple of those little HO cast pewter trackside electrical relay boxes from Details West.

View attachment 52547

Check your line of sight when placing them, the idiots across the hi-way are building a new building and the box is blocking the view of traffic at the corner, accidents WILL occur there! It is on a curve and you could hardly see the traffic before they did this! 20 feet back and it would have been no problem! For 20 feet of cables someone is gonna die!

Check your line of sight when placing them, the idiots across the hi-way are building a new building and the box is blocking the view of traffic at the corner, accidents WILL occur there! It is on a curve and you could hardly see the traffic before they did this! 20 feet back and it would have been no problem! For 20 feet of cables someone is gonna die!

You should take that to city hall planning department. They'll make them change it!.
At least they should if they do their job!

Be sure to wash the castings in a solution of warm water and dishwater soap to remove any oils or other film that maybe be on the castings. after they dry you should be good to go.

I would use a spray paint and use a couple of very light coast to avoid hiding the details. In fact, a light primer spray could be your final and only color paint. Then use some powers to weather the boxes.

I have several on my layout and since they are not handled too often, the paint and minor weathering has held up fine. I attached a photo of one of the boxes, its at the far left corner, just before the last WC box car.

Thanks.

Greg

String of  WC Cars at Siding.JPG

Big E:

Just a second thought....maybe just finish the boxes after a coat of gray primer with a solution of India ink and alcohol, to bring out the details.

Thanks.

Greg

Big E:

Just a second thought....maybe just finish the boxes after a coat of gray primer with a solution of India ink and alcohol, to bring out the details.

Thanks.

Greg

Well.... I just soak my little pieces in ISO 91 for a while. Swish them around now and then.
I just laid the paint straight to them and they stuck just fine.

Accenting to bring out some detail is a great idea. I may do that tomorrow.
Thanks.
E.

You should take that to city hall planning department. They'll make them change it!.
At least they should if they do their job!

And THEN they get the guys to go out and lean on a shovel all day, I was riding my bike across town to see a girl, in the morning I went by a hole in the street, two guys standing next to the hole and one guy in it, several hours later I rode back and the SAME three were standing there, they had switched places and there was a different guy standing in the hole but NOTHING else had moved!

And THEN they get the guys to go out and lean on a shovel all day, I was riding my bike across town to see a girl, in the morning I went by a hole in the street, two guys standing next to the hole and one guy in it, several hours later I rode back and the SAME three were standing there, they had switched places and there was a different guy standing in the hole but NOTHING else had moved!

Its a version of 'Your Turn in the Barrel'. CALTRANS guys out here play the game all the time.

View attachment 52547

Why paint them at all? The silver color looks just about right for the typical railroad signal cabinet.

Back