Pesky broken Screw Posts

Dub

Lionel 3 Rail
Lionel Trains have been around a long time. Older tenders and boxcars have screw posts to attach the shell to the metal frame. Over the years they split and break off. To me this has become regular maintenance, and I thought I would share my repair on the subject. Shown here is the typical problem.

IMG_20240414_082742875small.jpg

First I remove the old post entirely at the top. Then I slant the removal lower into the post. This helps with a larger surface area for the epoxy to adhere and preventing the screw from breaking it off.

IMG_20240414_083659042small.jpg

Then I add the big secret a plastic straw mold. Just slice it lengthwise and place it over the stump.
Shown us the tool I used for the post removal.

IMG_20240414_083849520small.jpg

Then I mix up the epoxy and apply on the tube with a toothpick and use a circular motion to get the air out and get the epoxy down the tube.
It takes about three times to get it filled.

IMG_20240414_084819014small.jpg

Then it sets overnight.

Lionel Trains have been around a long time. Older tenders and boxcars have screw posts to attach the shell to the metal frame. Over the years they split and break off. To me this has become regular maintenance, and I thought I would share my repair on the subject. Shown here is the typical problem.

View attachment 186012

First I remove the old post entirely at the top. Then I slant the removal lower into the post. This helps with a larger surface area for the epoxy to adhere and preventing the screw from breaking it off.

View attachment 186014

Then I add the big secret a plastic straw mold. Just slice it lengthwise and place it over the stump.
Shown us the tool I used for the post removal.

View attachment 186013

Then I mix up the epoxy and apply on the tube with a toothpick and use a circular motion to get the air out and get the epoxy down the tube.
It takes about three times to get it filled.

View attachment 186015

Then it sets overnight.
I would just goup on some JB weld epoxy and drill a new hole. Your fix looks much nicer.

Dave LASM

Back