People who don't use DCC do you think you made the right choice?

Thebrickfig

The reason I am asking is that DCC is more expensive and I personally don't like using it what does everyone else think about it and how does it affect your layout if you don't use it. (Sorry if you guys think I'm crazy for not using DCC)

:Edit, I am talking about a small layout not a huge layout.

Last edited:
As a long time Network Administrator, I find DC only as kind of a respite from the high tech stuff I deal with daily. Last thing I want to do personally is to have to work with computer related stuff at home. I have what amounts to a loop inside a loop with the ability to run trains between the 2 loops or even have one train running independently on both loops.

BTW, I have to deal with an accountant who keeps reminding me of what our goals are if I want to retire before I die. DC stuff is more affordable for me as well and no regrets.

As a long time Network Administrator, I find DC only as kind of a respite from the high tech stuff I deal with daily. Last thing I want to do personally is to have to work with computer related stuff at home. I have what amounts to a loop inside a loop with the ability to run trains between the 2 loops or even have one train running independently on both loops.

BTW, I have to deal with an accountant who keeps reminding me of what our goals are if I want to retire before I die. DC stuff is more affordable for me as well and no regrets.
Thank you, I was wondering if you could tell me if KATO turnouts provide power to both rails at the same time. The reason I am wondering is it would be much easier for me if I could have a turnout with a train on it that doesn't move.

The main reason I switched from DC to DCC was the logistics of wiring and the duplication of controls. With a 'bigger' layout wanting to run multiple trains there are additional devices needed to do just that. Everything is split into blocks with each block having a set of wires back to some control panel. Two trains at a time? Pretty easy as that only takes one toggle switch per block to target one cab controller or the other. 3 trains or more, then you are getting into rotary switches or relay logic to select the cab/block you want. Each train needs its own power pack, so the electronics under table gets bigger and bigger. Note that this wiring scheme is only for running trains. You still have switch, lighting, and if you want signals, detection and wiring to said signals ... etc.

If you can visit a club or a large home layout that is DC, have a look under the table at the wiring. Most of the time it is a 'rats nest' of which you would not want to figure out where some problem exists, or; gasp - add something new.

As to DCC, I am not a 'sound' type as that gets old after awhile. Sure, I have some sound equipped power. I can choose whether to hear it or not. Kids love the sound and if you have any of those; or grandkids or friends with kids, you will be a big hit. To me, the best part of DCC is that the maintenance is much easier; let alone adding something new.

It boils down to what you want as you are the final judge.

Later

Thank you, I was wondering if you could tell me if KATO turnouts provide power to both rails at the same time. The reason I am wondering is it would be much easier for me if I could have a turnout with a train on it that doesn't move.
Most Kato turnouts are power-routing. Some have a switch on the bottom that either routes power to the selected rails, or allows both to be powered at the same time. The ones with the switch, that I've seen anyway, seem to be HO. The N scale Kato turnouts I have are all power-routing.

If you think somewhere down the road you may want DCC, you can always wire in a switch to go from DC to DCC. I have one of those on my current layout, so I can operate the engines I have that are not easily converted.

Most Kato turnouts are power-routing. Some have a switch on the bottom that either routes power to the selected rails, or allows both to be powered at the same time. The ones with the switch, that I've seen anyway, seem to be HO. The N scale Kato turnouts I have are all power-routing.

If you think somewhere down the road you may want DCC, you can always wire in a switch to go from DC to DCC. I have one of those on my current layout, so I can operate the engines I have that are not easily converted.
So what you're saying is that the Kato N scale turnouts have one track that's dead while the other has power. And when you switch them the other becomes dead while the other has power?

If you have a small layout where you are only going to run one engine at a time, DC is way simpler and cheaper than DCC.
The basic track wiring on a small layout is pretty much the same between DC and DCC.

If you want to run more than one engine/consist at a time, then the DC wiring becomes more complicated. Not that it's difficult to do, but there is a lot more wiring and complication on the control panel.

If you don't like working on wiring inside the engine, DC is better.
If you have a very constrained budget, DC is better (having said that, many engines only come DCC equipped, so you are buying a decoder whether you use it or not).

If you want to use all the sound features, DCC is better.
If you want to use all the lighting features, DCC is better.
If you want to run multiple engines realistically at the same time, DCC is better.
If you want wireless operation, DCC may be better.

If you have a small layout where you are only going to run one engine at a time, DC is way simpler and cheaper than DCC.
The basic track wiring on a small layout is pretty much the same between DC and DCC.

If you want to run more than one engine/consist at a time, then the DC wiring becomes more complicated. Not that it's difficult to do, but there is a lot more wiring and complication on the control panel.

If you don't like working on wiring inside the engine, DC is better.
If you have a very constrained budget, DC is better (having said that, many engines only come DCC equipped, so you are buying a decoder whether you use it or not).

If you want to use all the sound features, DCC is better.
If you want to use all the lighting features, DCC is better.
If you want to run multiple engines realistically at the same time, DCC is better.
If you want wireless operation, DCC may be better.
What I want is a small layout with 1 train running at a time with some turnouts with other engines. I personally don’t want a big layout due to space and money. This is why I might go with dc instead of dcc

I have what I consider a fairly large layout, a room 32' x 20' with two complete levels. I run DC only. I am a solo operator and I find sound distracting. I'd rather listen to music. The layout is actually set up with two power sources and controllers and every block goes through Atlas Selectors so if I wanted to run two trains at once I could. But I can only pay attention to one at a time so it is a moot point unless I set one of my grandkids up on the lower level to run. My main throttle is a walk-around memory throttle, so I have that advantage. Cost of converting 80+ engines to DCC is also a deterrent to me. Yes there is more wiring, but it is no more complex than DCC. I set it up so it can be easily converted to DCC if I chose to do so, just by switching the power sources and adding decoders.
I assume that many folks can run DCC without any issues, but I am all the time reading of problems here on the forum from other folks. There seems to be a lot of different equipment needed, depending on the complexity of your operations. Control stations, boosters, programing tracks and throttles are just the beginning.
So for now, I am staying with DC, because of it's simplicity.

I have what I consider a fairly large layout, a room 32' x 20' with two complete levels. I run DC only. I am a solo operator and I find sound distracting. I'd rather listen to music. The layout is actually set up with two power sources and controllers and every block goes through Atlas Selectors so if I wanted to run two trains at once I could. But I can only pay attention to one at a time so it is a moot point unless I set one of my grandkids up on the lower level to run. My main throttle is a walk-around memory throttle, so I have that advantage. Cost of converting 80+ engines to DCC is also a deterrent to me. Yes there is more wiring, but it is no more complex than DCC. I set it up so it can be easily converted to DCC if I chose to do so, just by switching the power sources and adding decoders.
I assume that many folks can run DCC without any issues, but I am all the time reading of problems here on the forum from other folks. There seems to be a lot of different equipment needed, depending on the complexity of your operations. Control stations, boosters, programing tracks and throttles are just the beginning.
So for now, I am staying with DC, because of it's simplicity.
Yeah the complexity of Dcc is the deterrent for me. I also only like having 1 train going at a time so I can pay attention to that one train. So buying all the supplies and parts for dcc is a waste of money.

Some great replies here. When DCC first came out I jumped in big time. I have a Digitrax system plumbed in through a DPDT switch. I rarely use it; generally only when working on a customer's loco.

I began converting all my stuff over maybe 20 years ago. Then one day I had been sitting and studying the CV list trying to figure out all that stuff and realized that I did not enjoy it. I have never liked computers and all the 'let's hook blue tooth to the refrigerator mentality', so I decided right there to continue to enjoy my old blue-box, train set, 'junk'.

I do have some full blown BLI locos and I like them but like Willie, the sound drives me nuts in about 5 minutes.

I have a DC setup currently, however, I intend to go to DCC once I have the rest of my supplies in place (remaining track, foam, etc). DC certainly is just fine, but I do like the possibilities that DCC will allow including easily running a couple trains at once. The NCE Powercab that I got and the loco in my forum pic will enable that. :)

Some great replies here. When DCC first came out I jumped in big time. I have a Digitrax system plumbed in through a DPDT switch. I rarely use it; generally only when working on a customer's loco.

I began converting all my stuff over maybe 20 years ago. Then one day I had been sitting and studying the CV list trying to figure out all that stuff and realized that I did not enjoy it. I have never liked computers and all the 'let's hook blue tooth to the refrigerator mentality', so I decided right there to continue to enjoy my old blue-box, train set, 'junk'.

I do have some full blown BLI locos and I like them but like Willie, the sound drives me nuts in about 5 minute
yeah, I feel like it's perfectly fine to use DCC but to me, model trains are a way to get away from computers, Bluetooth, and the internet and just relax while living in the moment.

As usual I am a bit different. I can run both, separately of course. I use a double pole center off switch to control the power. Left is DC right is DCC. I have clients I weather for that are DC and I test them after weathering to make sure I haven’t messed anything up. My Wisconsin Central locomotives (2 left) are DC and I like to run them. I was operating a ISL (industrial switching layout) and if friends or the wife wanted to join and operate we switched on the DCC. Upon rebuild in a new location, both DC and DCC will be available

Neither is right or wrong, it’s what you enjoy that should matter

Back