PECO Turn-Out Issue

stevea41

Hello. I was having trouble with a locomotive stalling at a particular Peco U-8361 turn-out. Long story short, I discovered that this particular turnout did not have a gap on the running rails at the rear of the turn-out. Please see picture. Has anyone else had this issue? I suspect this is my problem.... Thank you.

Attachments

• Gaps.png
    Gaps.png
    743.4 KB · Views: 57
Looks to me like you have two different types of Peco turnouts. The one on the left is an insulfrog (insulated non powered frog). The one on the right is an electro-frog (powered frog). The way to solve the stalling issue is too solder feeders at every leg of the turnout (one at the entry and on at both exit points and that should fix your problem. The other option is to take the turnout back up and solder jumpers on the underside. There are numerous You tube videos showing how to do this to solve this issue and make them electrically reliable.

Mike, thanks for the quick reply. I'm a bit confused because the package was labeled unifrog like all the other turnouts I purchased. I suppose I can't just cut a gap like my "good" ones and that would work?

Welcome to the Forum Steve.

As Mike has already posted those are your two options really track wise, but that does depend on how easy it would be to remove the turnout. There is a third solution and that is to add a keep alive to the Loco, if this is the only Locomotive that has a problem with this turnout, it might be the simplest solution.

Just spotted you answer to Mike.

What is a Unifrog turnout?

A unifrog turnout works by having a metal frog, but the frog is isolated when in its default setting, this means that out-of-the-box the turnout will behave as a standard insulfrog turnout. However, the turnout comes with pigtails attached should you wish to electrify the frog to make it an electrofrog turnout.

Welcome to the Forum Steve.

As Mike has already posted those are your two options really track wise, but that does depend on how easy it would be to remove the turnout. There is a third solution and that is to add a keep alive to the Loco, if this is the only Locomotive that has a problem with this turnout, it might be the simplest solution.
Thank you. More than one loco affected but looks like I have options!

Thank you. More than one loco affected but looks like I have options!
Ignore what we've posted your answer is in Post #6
Your going to remove the turnout and add the pigtails to make it an electrofrog turnout, that should solve the problem.

Last edited:

Back