Peco Narrow Gauge Question

If I am not mistaken that is the equivalent of our On30 so yes it will run on HO track.

From the manufacturer's website ( http://www.peco-uk.com/page.asp?id=faq ) under FAQ, What is OO9: "This refers to narrow gauge. In other words, a gauge that is less than the standard size of 4 feet 8½ inches. The OO refers to the scale that is being modelled, i.e. 4mm to the foot (1:76) and the 9 relates to the gauge, i.e. 9mm, therefore representing approximately a track gauge of 2 feet or a little more. Many railway modellers working in OO like to have as an added attraction a little narrow gauge alongside their mainline workings and this is where OO9 would act admirably as a feeder line from an industrial area or quarry."

And under What is HO/OO? "What does it mean and why do some products have it mentioned on their packaging?

The letters HO and OO refer to the scales that the models have been built to. HO scale represents 3.5mm to 1 foot (1:87), whereas OO represents 4mm to 1 foot (1:76).

Trackwork as manufactured and packaged by PECO is classified as being suitable for both HO and OO but strictly speaking is designed and made to HO standards, i.e. standard gauge for track is 4 feet 8½ inches and that to HO scale 1:87 = 16.5mm. For various reasons, the popular scale used for British outline models as manufactured by Hornby, Bachmann and others is OO but more or less from inception have used HO track. Technically speaking this is incorrect, being over 2mm too narrow but the majority of model railway enthusiasts have accepted this anomaly. The scale of HO is used virtually in every country around the world other than Great Britain."

Anyhow I went ahead and purchased one of their narrow gauge O16.5 gauge locomotive kits as well as the engine necessary to make it run.

I have never tried building an engine from a kit, but figured that I would give it a try. If I get the engine to turn out good, I will be getting their rolling stock kits, and having a European train on my layout.

Back