Passenger car interiors

Aerojet

Any body making the insides of passenger cars look like more than an empty box? Most of mine have some form in interior finishing.

Just one of them --

DSC_1169.JPG

This is a private car, but all are the same. This goes back to craftsman kits and is a Walther's kit, circa 1980 or so. Most of the items in here are made from wooden blocks, painted and decorated to suit. Modern car kits are available from Palace Car Co. and Red Cap. Will post that out if I need to --

Speaking of Walthers --

walthers 7808.jpg

This is from the 1980 catalog. Did anybody build one? Do you still run it? *************

Coming soon. MY Walther's 7808 is being rebuilt with Palace Car Co. parts and Red Cap parts. Rather than the paper walls I am using wood like the car above. All cars also have lights in them and coming soon will be a boat load of people to ride in them.

As the guy over at the hobby shop says, people today do not build stuff like this anymore, they want ready to run stuff. But for those of us who still love the hobby this is the way to personalize the thing and make our passenger cars our own.

YMMV

The Aerojet

Can ya stand a few more? These are done in the Palace Car and Red Cap parts ...
IMG_0603.JPG

Top one is a dining car, Palace car kit parts and a Walther's type kitchen.

Middle one is a combine passenger / baggage car all Palace Car.

Bottom one is another observation car, 3 compartment lounge all Palace Car parts.

Just a few more ...

The Aerojet

Just a note is passing - those car parts are not white as they seem. Stupid camera will not pick up the delicate "Faun Tan" color that the parts are painted. This is a brown and tan color scheme ...

Walther's # 2 --

So you want to make one of these and the parts and kits are long gone ???

Try these instructions from the 70's --

walthers 7080-1.jpg

walthers 7808-2.jpg

Okay, I am an old fart. So what? Been railroading since the early 70's and still at it hard!

Enjoy

The Aerojet

Any body making the insides of passenger cars look like more than an empty box?
Yes. I learned from experience while running at the museum, a passenger train with not only painted/detailed interiors but PEOPLE and that are lighted so that spectators can see the people get much more attention and comments from the guests. Now I have started adding headrest cloths. Next to window glass, an interior is the one change a person can make to a car to drastically improve its appearance. Most bang for the effort. Even more important than handrails. Unfortunately those people are expensive and/or hard to detail.

I have been having a hard time tracking down the appropriate colors for interior walls, carpet, and chair covering. Most of the cars in museums have been repeatedly repainted. Take outs from motion pictures are iffy at best because of the age of films (even technicolor) do not retain proper hue and tone, but I've been following the "close enough" school of thought. I've got a peach/tan, an aqua/mint green, and an institutional green I use often. Chair mohair fabric I use various maroons or a dark jewel case green. I know many were striped but I've not tried that yet.

This is from the 1980 catalog. Did anybody build one? Do you still run it? *************
I have bunches, not built any for years, have not certified any at the museum, so I don't run any at the moment.

Last edited:
Just an up date -- IF you have a General Tool No.1251 Model Railroad Reference Rule, you can scale off that floor plan above, but add 25% or so to what you scale off the drawing above, it should read -- 61 feet long and 10 feet wide. Adjust your measurements accordingly. I'm not sure if I can post a "full sized" plan as the web does funny things to things like this.

The Aerojet

Back