Paired industries - ideas?

Rigby

I am going to be building two modules this fall for switching operations. They'll each be 80" by 18" and build in n gauge. The idea is that either one offers purposeful operation, and that there will be a bridge section that will allow a transfer to run from one to the other.

I'd appreciate ideas for industries that generate outbound traffic from one module that could become inbound traffic for the other module. I don't think I mind if the contents of the car changes between modules for the moment. Someday, there will be a yard module in between them and I can get more particular.

The railroad is set in Maine, more or less today. The railroad is a fictional branch of the Maine Central called the Birch Island Division. Guilford/Pan Am has failed and a new group of individual investors is trying to revive the rail road. In the early 1980's the swing bridge to Birch Island burned, rendering it inoperable. As a result, there are a number of old MEC locomotives on the line that survived getting scrapped since there was no convenient way to get them out. The bridge is now repaired and the revived MEC is getting underway.

I am sort of thinking about doing an ethanol plant on one module and a paper mill on the other. The ethanol plant would receive potatos, clear cut rubbish, and paper mill waste in box cars and gondolas and gasoline for denaturing in tankers, and would ship ethanol out in tankers. The paper mill would receive soda ash slurry and the other assorted chemicals in tankers, together with pulp wood from a pulp mill and box cars and shredded compacted recycled paper in gondolas, and ship product in box cars and waste in it gondolas.

It sort of works, but I'm open to better ideas. Again, then there's a yard there will be more cars of greater specificity to work with.

I'd apprecaite any input.

Justin

It sounds like a great idea to me. I assume the pulpwood mill would actually be making cardboard stock rather than paper. We have a cardboard mill in town and it ships out lots of boxcars of cardboard a day. I think most cardboard mills receive logs by truck though, since the it's generally low quality timber and the trucks have to go to where ever it's being cut. You can set up a truck receiving and unloading facility at the mill and add a little more variety to the setting.

Back