Paints

Trucklover

BNSF SD70MAC's
Well it wasnt easy, but i got a huge set of paints finally that have been on the list of things to buy for the longest time now lol

I bought all the Polly Scale paints that i need/could use for projects right now and for future projects.

Here is what i got:

• BNSF Orange
  • BNSF Green
  • BNSF Silver
  • BNSF Yellow
  • CSX Tan
  • CSX Yellow
  • CSX Blue
  • CSX Gray
  • UP Dark Gray
  • SP Lettering Gray
  • SP Lark Dark Gray
  • BN Green
  • CNW Yellow
  • Mineral Red
  • Special Oxide Red
  • Reefer White
  • Reefer Yellow
  • Oily Black
  • Grimy Black
  • Engine Black
  • Rust
  • Roof Brown
  • Railroad Tie Brown
  • Mud
  • Earth
  • Dirt
  • Concrete
  • New Gravel Gray
  • Sand
  • Flat Aluminum

I also got 2 bottles of Floquil Flat Finish and 2 1/2oz. and 2 1oz. Mixing Bottles in the same order. Total was $134.20 and i got free shipping :D

Adds to my tiny set right now that consists of:

• CNW Green
  • UP Harbor Mist Gray
  • UP Armor Yellow
  • SP Lark Light Gray
  • Aged Concrete

Next on the list is my airbrush and compressor set-up, another $245 :rolleyes:

So, did i set the record for most spend on a single order for PAINT only? :eek:

You might have set the rercord. I have an airbrush but not a booth, so I will have to wait until it is warmer until I paint much.

You can never have enough paint

The one thing I never have is the right color paint for my projects, and I have to settle for what I have. A lot of my kits are all variations of just a few colors I have had. It's the last thing I think to get when I go to the not so LHS. It would be great to have the choices you now have. Don't regret the money spent, it iwill be well worth it in my opinion.

Needed to post a reply, ever have the feeling your spray can has been sitting a long time? I've been shaking this can of gloss cote for an hour and the ball is still not rattling! Only problem, is its a new can, with the white label and clear cap.

The one thing I never have is the right color paint for my projects, and I have to settle for what I have. A lot of my kits are all variations of just a few colors I have had. It's the last thing I think to get when I go to the not so LHS. It would be great to have the choices you now have. Don't regret the money spent, it iwill be well worth it in my opinion.

See thats about what it is for me too. I would rather order online then drive an hour to go to the LHS's lol

I got it for the set of Spine cars that I got. There going to be TTX wen there finished. Funny thing is that most of those type of Spine cars are so old now tha you cant see much of the yellow. Mine are going to be heavely weathered.

I got it for the set of Spine cars that I got. There going to be TTX wen there finished. Funny thing is that most of those type of Spine cars are so old now tha you cant see much of the yellow. Mine are going to be heavely weathered.

Sweet!! I like heavy weathered cars :D Be sure to post pics when done :D

I've probably got 50 bottles of paint but many of them are now starting to get old enough that they are getting hard to mix. So, it will soon be another order of 25 or so bottles of paint since my nearest LHS is about an hour away. It sure would be nice if paint would last for more than a year or so.

LOL Jim, i really hope my paints last longer then a year, i dont think i can do another massive order of just paints :eek:

Have you tried mixing some thinner in to try bring them back?

Well i can add to the list the following colors:

• ATSF Red
  • AFSF Blue
  • ATSF Yellow
  • TTX Yellow

and 2 other colors, i cant remember what they are :rolleyes: lol

Josh, I can usually bring back the water based paints with a few drops of alcohol but it seems like the solvent based paints have a limited lifespan if you are not using and mixing them constantly. It's the colors that I only use once every three months where the solvents separate from the pigments and it eventually gets impossible to get them mixed again. I'm careful to store them with a vaseline seal and the caps tight but enough air still leaks in to cause a the problem over time. Some colors seem to last almost forever while the lighter colors seems to be good for no more than about two years. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I've had the same problems for the past 40 years or so.

I am trying to stay away from the solvent based paints lol. Trying to use on Polly S, should get longer life span out of each bottle too i hope :D

I am trying to stay away from the solvent based paints lol. Trying to use on Polly S, should get longer life span out of each bottle too i hope :D

Solvent based paint are so much nicer to use. I try to stay away from water based.

Solvent based paint are so much nicer to use. I try to stay away from water based.

Which paints do you use? :D

Ohhh yeah and i remembered the 2 other colors that slipped my mind from my second order of paints above, they are CSX New Image Blue and CSX New Image Gold lol

I've got to agree with other guys on solvent based paints. I have no problems using Polly S for brush painting details and some of their paint does a beter job covering in one coat than Floquil. However, most Floquil paint is far superior for spraying, especially over a good coat of Floquil primer. It may be that I'm just a dinosaur and sued to how to work with solvent based paint but I like it a lot better for airbrushing than any other water based paint I've tried. I guess we'll have to get used to the water based paint at some point since the solvent based paints will eventually disappear from the marketplace.

Back