Painting Foam

Dougget

Wondering if I can use latex paint on dow foam? I have a couple of partial cans that will otherwise get wasted.

If I can use it, great. If acrylic is best, then I'll stick with that.

Thanks,
Doug

I tested a small piece of scrap foam the other day, and it seemed fine. Last night, I repainted my family room and had some left over paint... Fortunately the color is "Dune". So I took my trusty roller to the basement and painted a 5x9 desert. No more blue :) I have a couple of shades of green that I will try next. I want to get my track layout marked on the foam first. That way I'll be able to use the greens in the right places. I plan to have some forested area and some farm area. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the input.
Doug

Doug, years ago I purchased a gallon of "mis-mixed" home latex at Home Depot for maybe $3. It is a nice medium brown "dirt" color and I have been using that one gallon ever since.

if you use Sculptamold, you can mix some of the same paint in the Sculptamold to give it some incredible strength.

I got a quart of 'mis-mixed' from HD as well. I needed a more 'earthy' color, so I went up to the mixing table and asked them to squirt some more dark brown in it. They said they normally didn't do that because some folks have deliberately mis-mixed paint, returned it, then came back to repurchase at the lower price.

I told them I was a model railroader and needed to paint the terrain a 'dirt' color, so the manager there said 'OK'. It's still not very dark (it was some beige color to begin with). I went to Michaels and bought a tube of Dark Sienna to see if I can darken it further. I may end up mixing it bit by bit....

Kennedy

Back