Painting a Brass Pennsylvania G5

Ragonnet

Electrician of the RMC
I recently got a brass Pennsylvania G5 in HO scale for my layout. It came painted and slightly weathered. However one thing that wasn't painted was the keystone. Does anybody know exactly what color Pennsy used to paint the keystones. I've noticed that different manufacturers have different colors and can differ greatly from one another. Also how do I put the numbers on, I'm new to painting and weathering. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Going strictly from my memory when I saw these run as a little kid, the keystone herald on the smoke box was painted a bright red, very similar to Burlington Chinese Red. The herald was trimmed in dulux gold and the number plate was polished brass. Did you get some raised brass numbers for the engine? If so, you've already got the right color and you can secure them to the center of the herald with super glue. If you didn't get any numbers, you're going to have to get a Pennsy decal set and use the brass colored numbers from the decal sheet to fill in for the raised brass numbers. It won't look quite as good but I don't know anyone who makes brass numbers that small and it will look good enough from a foot or so away.

I don't think I got any raised numbers. I thought about the decal sets. Alright thanks a bunch. Those color codes really helped too! Thanks hamltnblue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back