Paint thinning method, and cleaning airbrush

Been reading alot about airbrush paints. For weathering, would some of the Createx paints work? I want to use some of the Floquil railroad colors for track weathering though. What is a good thinner to use with that paint. Also, what is a good cleaner for it?

I've been wanting to do a bit of practicing with my brush as well.....read that black ink is a good method for practice. Where do you buy it? Checked an office store and all they had was the ink filled inserts for pens.....no actual bottles of ink.

Try an art supply store for black ink. It is used for calligraphy so that may be where you'll find it. Higgins is the brand I use and dulited 1:3, ink:water.
For practice color food dies found in the grocey store also work well. Just add a few drops in the color cup filled with water.

There has been a few discussions on Floquil thinner here. Try a search of this forum.

If you haven't found this, here is a good info about air brushes:
https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/

I use rubbing alcohol and black ink for weathering.
Plus, drybrushing Polly S Grimy Black does wonders!

As an airbrush artist I would say no on the Createx as they are used for fabrics like for doing Shirts. However that same company also makes an automotive paint called
Auto Air. And they make an excellent paint called Wicked it's a detail paint so it
shows up really well. As for cleaning your airbrush if you used an enamel based or urethane based paint then you would some lacquer thinner to clean it with. If it's water based then use some Window cleaner to clean it with. As for thinning your paint again this depends on if it's water based or otherwise. If water then use plain tap water with some Denatured alcohol mixed in it and just a little bit of glycerin. This is used a lot by brushers everywhere. And when using any chemical based paint ALWAYS,ALWAYS Where a respirator especially with urethane's that stuff will mess up your lungs quick.
Hope this helps. Feel free to ask questions regarding airbrushing I believe I can help.

Back