Paint jar roller to keep paints mixed

Several years ago, an article appeared in MR mag. about building a roller for paint jars. It was fabricated out of a couple of dowels or a broom handle sawed in equal lengths, driven by an old motor ( a pittman out of a brass model would be ideal) and some type of gear reducer. (an old gearbox?) I have searched the net and cant find the article. Can someone point me in the right direction? This would be a handy apparatus to have around a day or two before spraying.

I remember the article but not the issue or year. That little battery powered mixer you can get out of Micro Mark works just as well, and is much cheaper.

Thank you, Alan. I have one of those mixers and it works well. I'm attempting to get longer shelf-life out of Scalecoat paints. I'm going to try and construct one and roll these paint jars for 12/24 hours every 30 days or so and see what happens. I'm not using my paints as often as I would like and generally speaking, Scalecoat goes bad after about a year.
It would also be helpful to put the jars on the roller a day or two before painting to ensure a good mix and keep the solids (clumps ) suspended. Just trying to get a little more for what I pay for. I can build this thing with spare parts I have laying around....I'm just not sure of the gear reduction device. A picture speaks a thousand words!
Thanks again, Dave

I've also got the mag somewhere, but have no idea what year/month. Early to mid 1990 something is my best guess.

If you are using an adjustable power supply, I see no reason why 1/24 scale slot car gears couldn't be used. If you needed further reduction, you could also use 1/10 scale R/C motor pinion gears on the reduction shaft.

Rotor

A clock mechanism would probably work well. You don't need speed, just steady motion. Power one roller, the other one can just roll free

The problem with Scalecoat is once you open it, the chemical reaction starts. Of all the hobby paints, it has the shortest shelf life. If you're getting a year, you're doing well. I use saran wrap to act as an extra seal. Keep the jar clean and the lid. Don't save thinned paint.

Also it helps to store these and really all paints upside down.

I have some Scalecoat that is approx 5 years old and is still just as good as when I bought it.

I hadn't thought of that, C.J. Thank you! Sorry I have been incommunicado...phone issues again! Just got finished painting the SRR caboose, It looks great!
Dave

Alan, Thats why I'm wanting to try this out...just to see if it can be done. Like an idiot, The last time I ordered paint I ordered the big jars.

I think that thread was on 3 Guys and Sum Trains. Here's my version powered by a drill:

PaintMixer005.jpg

What I use to do way back when I was a kid was to just stick the small Testor bottles in one of my pockets for the day. That worked pretty good.

Back