P2K E-7 Decoder Install Problems

UP2CSX

Fleeing from Al
Well, shoot, I've been trying to install an NCE D13SRP decoder in my P2K E-7 but no luck so far. When I plug it in so the black wire is on the left top pin (looking down on the decoder), I get an immediate short. When I reverse the plug, I get the engine running way with no control. It works fine on DC. I've tried two different D13 decoders and get the same results so I know it's not a bad decoder. Is there something special I have to do with a P2K E-7 to get the decoder to work? I'm baffled at this point. I've talked to Tony's and they say it's a problem with the engine but they (nor I) have any idea what it could be. Thanks for any tips.

had a similar problem with a p1k rdc and tcs decoder could be the light board in the engine?the board in the engine had about 6 diodes on it! is the motor for sure isolated from the frame?

Hi Dave,
Thanks for responding. The engine is for sure isolated from the frame. I checked that with a meter. It does have a light board for the Mars light with a bunch of diodes and capacitors but, without a schematic, I have no idea what they all do. According to the guys at Tony's, this shouldn't be causing a problem with the decoder but I don't know if that's really true. Since the 8 pin plug is part of the light board, I wouldn't know what to try disconnectiong to prove this. I'm waiting for someone at Walthers to give me a return call to see if they have any information.

Back