Out with the old layout in with the new

Hello guys,

I know ive talked about making a layout before, well i got the benchwork and track done, with my layout space expanded from 12'x14' to 14'24' I have supplied a basic trackplan in the attachments

OPERATIONS: The operations will be expanded due to more space. This will mean more through freights, bigger yard, more sidings, more crews.

CREWS: The layout can accomodate up to 9 crew members each train crew will be one man only. After all this is modern MRRing. So theres no need for brakemen ect. Well anyways it will consist of 2 through train operators, 2 local operators, a yard master, a assistant yard master, a dispatcher, and 2 people on the call board at all times.

TRAIN MOVMENTS: The trains will be powered by all the latest BNSF power, moved by dispatcher to operator radioed track warrants.

DCC SYSTEM: The DCC system will be Digitrax Super Empire Builder with 6 wireless throttles.

TRACK: The track will be Atlas Code 83 flex track with either peco or Atlas switches.

DIMENSIONS: The dimensions will consist of 30'' minimum aisle width, 28'' minimum radius, #6 minimum turnout.

STAGING/YARDS: Wenatchee Staging will be able to accomodate 4 full length trains (full length=20 feet) It is double ended, trains will be recycled to keep the operating session going without having to reset. Seattle Yard will be 3 classification track, with one arrival departure track.

TRAINS: The trains will be mostly BNSF with 1 or 2 UP trains per session. The main type will be double stack. We will have 2 full 25 car double stack trains, that will each go around the layout about 4-5 times a session (They are recycled into staging) 1 full 30 car grain train, 2 full length 30 car manifest trains, a full length unit coal train, a full length auto rack train, and 2 full length road railer trains.

"PLACES OF INTEREST": There are 7 "places of interest on this layout. In order, Wenatchee Staging, Dryden, 8 mile "Cascade Tunnel", Scenic Siding, everett, Black River, and Seattle Yard.

INDUSTRIES: I will list the industries and the towns they go in below
Dryden: Amtrak Station, Small grain facility
Everett: Cheveron Main facility
Black River: Small warehouse, UP interchange.
Seattle Yard: Intermodal port.

thanks josh, some of its built now, just a bit of the bench work, You see, i belong to a group of operators called the switching crew, we go around and operate on each others layouts.

so a guy named Mark, is good at designing this kind of stuff, so i have to give all the design credit to him.

Mark is helping me build it, were planning on haiving the track operational by this summer. Your more then welcome to come and be part of the operations if you wanna drive from san diego. lol

but thanks im glad you like it. Anyways hows your layout coming? I know you were planning on building a decent sized Cajon Pass layout.

thanks

Austin

Wow, looks like that will be quite a layout when it's running. My only comment is that you've sure got a small amount of industries for such a large layout but that's just my preference for switching industries.

thanks josh, some of its built now, just a bit of the bench work, You see, i belong to a group of operators called the switching crew, we go around and operate on each others layouts.

so a guy named Mark, is good at designing this kind of stuff, so i have to give all the design credit to him.

Mark is helping me build it, were planning on haiving the track operational by this summer. Your more then welcome to come and be part of the operations if you wanna drive from san diego. lol

but thanks im glad you like it. Anyways hows your layout coming? I know you were planning on building a decent sized Cajon Pass layout.

thanks

Austin
Still waiting to get into a house, for that one. Just building a simple switching layout for now.

UP: Yeah there are few industries, because the person that designed it for me said to pick something between 1-10. 1 being mainline running, 10 being switching. My preference was a 3 so he designed me something with alot of mainline running.

Josh: That sounds good, so you going to come out and run some trains when the layouts done?

You have a whole lot of rail yard for almost no industries. I think you need a little more balance.

Looks great!! You should be able to run some descent size trains on that baby. You see a lot of people that like those mainline track plans. I like mainline with a lot of lineside industries but that's what makes this hobby great. You can do what you like!!!

Good luck with it, may the trains run by summer:D

thanks guys, and macjet, ill try to add some more industries, but i want to keep it with mostly through trains, and a very little switching.

thanks again

Austin

Can you highlight your mainline tracks? I'm having a hard time understanding where the main runs through Wenatchee. Also, what is that long spur that dead ends near the center of the layout towards Cascade going to be used for?

UP, i will highlite the tracks and post it here tomorrow, its late now. And that isnt a spur, its a backdrop (or viewblock)

thanks
Austin

Back