OT rude people

GN.2-6-8-0

I had joined a forum for my hometown NFL team,here in Az. Ahem! they have a particular player,absolute gentleman that is the Face of the franchise.
I found out he had a birthday coming up so posted the date in case some were not aware of it,on the actual day again wished him a happy birthday.
Wow' got jumped by a couple of Forum members For posting twice about this players B-day,one going so far as to say us real fans really don't care about such things.
Frankly not the first time I've been flamed for posting innocent questions or statements there , I mean not being a diehard take no prisoners type of fan myself...
Guess I'm more use to the type of people I meet on model railroad forums than the nasty ass types on some sports forums.f
Sorry just had to vent a bit'

I had joined a forum for my hometown NFL team,here in Az. Ahem! they have a particular player,absolute gentleman that is the Face of the franchise.
I found out he had a birthday coming up so posted the date in case some were not aware of it,on the actual day again wished him a happy birthday.
Wow' got jumped by a couple of Forum members For posting twice about this players B-day,one going so far as to say us real fans really don't care about such things.
Frankly not the first time I've been flamed for posting innocent questions or statements there , I mean not being a diehard take no prisoners type of fan myself...
Guess I'm more use to the type of people I meet on model railroad forums than the nasty ass types on some sports forums.f

Sympathetic ear here!

I have not been on thatbook thing since I got the whammy for unexpectedly crossing somebody on a bad hair day! (excuuuuuuse MEEEEEE!!!) LOL! It's a jungle out there!

This forum is usually very refreshing and I'd much rather see somebody run a new Loco or talk about a wiring, track or bench problem than the spew on most sites!

I know what you mean. I am not big on social networks (except here) but do participate some. There are some real loud mouth turn offs out there (LMTO's?).

We have a good thing going here.

This forum is the only forum I now visit/use, in fact, it is the only form of "social networking" I do. I think there is a very BIG difference between this forum and the majority of others - 99% of the people here are here for the same reason no matter how you look at it. We tend to be self regulating and are (or most) old enough to understand respect and consideration, possibly due to the very nature of our hobby.

Other forums, especially sports forums, are full of young/younger people who seem to lack the capacity for respect and consideration. People who are mindlessly pro one particular team or another and god help anyone who says anything about that team (for example). People who are incapable of rational, open minded conversation without that conversation decaying into a "slinging match". When you get involved in that kind of environment, you have to expect the uncouth, loud mouthed idiots who only care about their views and opinions.

Thankfully, our hobby, or perhaps just this forum, doesn't attract that sort of person and if they do appear, they generally don't hang around for long :)

This forum is the only forum I now visit/use, in fact, it is the only form of "social networking" I do. I think there is a very BIG difference between this forum and the majority of others - 99% of the people here are here for the same reason no matter how you look at it. We tend to be self regulating and are (or most) old enough to understand respect and consideration, possibly due to the very nature of our hobby.

Other forums, especially sports forums, are full of young/younger people who seem to lack the capacity for respect and consideration. People who are mindlessly pro one particular team or another and god help anyone who says anything about that team (for example). People who are incapable of rational, open minded conversation without that conversation decaying into a "slinging match". When you get involved in that kind of environment, you have to expect the uncouth, loud mouthed idiots who only care about their views and opinions.

Thankfully, our hobby, or perhaps just this forum, doesn't attract that sort of person and if they do appear, they generally don't hang around for long :)

I think you hit it, Tony!

The very nature of the pastime determines the type of person who will voluntarily commit the amount of time and attention to detail required to do it well!

Like finds like and this is what we like!

Most of us are over 40(well over) and have the patience and the money to do this, it is not something that caters to 'excitable' people, and most of us seemed to be pretty well rounded and tolerant types.

There is a general feeling of accumulated wisdom in the thousands of different members on this forum and I for one find it very refreshing!

We are all just way too cool! And some can't handle the coolness! LOL!

This isn't the place to be talking about anybody's B Day when there's Facebook & Twitter. Don't use the excuse you're not on those. You can bet if the person is of any importance at all, someone has already posted it there. There's one MR forum where 80% of the topics are NOT about MR topics - just everything else under the sun! Would have left it along time ago but the other 20% there's some useful information posted.

Andy,

I'm not sure what prompted your post but, considering there is a General Discussion Forum here I think it is the place to discuss other things besides our hobby. As for faceless book and twitter, I don't use either as I can't be bothered with some of the mindless idiots that seem to frequent those things, and who have no idea of what being social is or means.

I can only assume, from your comment, that if you don't get a mention on faceless book or twitter then your not important. I think there are a hell of a lot of people who will disagree with you on that point alone.

Anyway, one of the great things about this forum is that it is not so conceited to think that all there is in the world is our hobby. It acknowledges that despite our common interest, people have other interests as well and we are given the opportunity of discussing those interests, even birthdays.

Guess we all have our opinions about where to talk about all the other things in life but still don't agree it should be done on a MR forum. Some forums do have places to talk about those other things. Either that or figure out a way to delete topics that you don't want to see like can be done on email. >)

G'day all....What's the issue here ?...First up ...that sports forum is easy fixed...DON'T USE IT...Second thing Andy....I'm not quite as convinced as you perhaps that a bit of off topic contact ie birthday/ Christmas etc wishes from the outright topic is necessarily a bad thing so long as it leads to good will and making firm friends...This Forum IS the most accepting and inclusive by a country mile and I think if we get too precise about forum rules details we will risk falling back into the pack of many other forums...That said...all in moderation of course ... We all do it...we all add a bit of off topic over time and sometimes we do it with the best of intentions and not really deliberately...but I agree with you that we predominantly stick to the general topic at hand..Cheers Rod...

Trains are only a PART of life a BIG part of some lives (ours!) but just a part. I don't mind hearing about some of the 'little things' that go on in a life, it's LIFE!

Go a head and rant all you want, when ever you want! Was that Larry Fitzgerald's birthday? A belated happy birthday to him or who ever it was.

I played ball all my life right up to semi-pro baseball and football, until I could not play any more. I can tell you many sports fans don't know the game they love. I have to chuckle under my breath because they can sound so foolish sometimes. I try not to let them see me laugh because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. I'm too old for that nonsense. I try to live by the rules I was taught as a little boy. "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all" its easy.

Take one look at how some of the clowns dress and act when attending a ball game and you will see what I mean.

"General Discussions" a great place if you ask me!

I like to hear what model railroaders are thinking about. For the most part model railroaders are intelligent, considerate and polite people. Other forums are only good for information in my experience. Try having a civil discussion and the first time there is a difference of opinion and its a bar fight. Only problem is nobody gets knocked out and it never ends.

I talk sports, family, pets, just about any topic with my fellow railroaders because I value their opinions. We even talk about trains! :)

Sure we have an occasional ignorant ass, but most of the time we won't fall into the "troll's" trap. We just ignore them and keep going.

I'm a member on a machinists forum where there are a lot of off topic posts. The members identify them by starting the thread title with "OT" for Off Topic. I actually find it of value because of the amazing diversity of knowledge there. I've posted computer questions and gotten the answer within hours. I find computer forums to be nearly impossible to use. We've also touched such wide ranging topics as who makes the best smoker, bread making, and what paint is best for outdoor furniture.

By adding the OT, if a member doesn't care for off topic threads, they can just skip it.

Back