OSB as subroadbed?

Does anyone use OSB for their subroadbed instead of plywood? I personally prefer plywood, but I do have some OSB and I've been debating using it. I really don't like the look of OSB and I'm not sure of its strength.

Not sure about strength, but OSB is gawd-awful heavy, isn't it? If weight is not a consideration, then ...

OSB has the properties that you need and should technically be perfect for that. I haven't used it myself for that, but if the weight is ok, I can't think of any technical reason not to use it.

There is also a form of OSB which is stranded on one side and green on the other. I'm not sure what it's called, but I had a piece and I used it at Island Creek #2 up the Sugar Creek Branch and it seems ok. If I could find more of it scrap, I'd use it in a heartbeat. The green side up is best since it doesn't show that ugly patchwork OSB seems to be composed of and is smooth.

OSB strength in full sheet is good but in 2 to 3 inch strips (ribbons) it will break easily. Play with a strip or two - see what you think about cutting and screwing it down. As far as looks, won't it all be covered with roadbed or scenery?

Back