Operating Sessions

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
Just relaxing for a few minutes before the operators start arriving for today's op session.
I promoted today's op session as a steam only day. In particular, with smoke and sound. I pulled all the modern freight cars off the layout so mostly early 1950s freight and passenger would be in service. Took quite a few storage tubs to do that.
Got the industries stocked with loads or empties out and the yard set up with trains to deliver and pickup cars along with the Way Bills.
Gotta clean the house too so it doesn't look like a college dorm. Got the snacks and drinks ready to set out a little later in the day. Tracks are cleaned and floors vacuumed. The project desk is cleaned up and unfinished projects stored away in boxes. The command station has been purged of all loco slots and the signal computer is booted up with a refreshed memory.
About half of the trains to run today will be coal service. I have about 250 cars ready for the local runs, all broken down into east bound or west bound. Ten steam locos sitting in the ready tracks and the staging tracks cleared for guest steam locomotives. The JMRI is up and running on the programming computer in case of trouble locos. Not going to do a lot of trouble shooting as that takes my attention away from hosting the op session, but I can do a quick address programming if needed.
I had a friend over this past week to link his ESU system over to see if it would play nice with my Digitrax. After a little trouble shooting, splicing and hammering, it started working. My signal system didn't want to play though. The Railroad Co. software was probably confused as it saw the Digitrax and the ESU waveform and just gave up. All blocks appeared occupied. I think the settings of the Railroad Co. software require you to designate what command station you are using. The advantage of using the ESU would be so that operators can bring their own throttle controller to run trains here, regardless of the make. So Digitrax, NCE, ESU etc. can all be used at the same time. After running that test, I stripped it all back out and returned to the Digitrax system.
OK, so today's ops will run from about noon till 6pm or so. We'll just run trains around the basement till about 1:30 then transition into the ops session with assignments handed out. When the last train is back into the yard we will just go back to running trains.

Ken - Sounds like a well planned fun session coming up. I like your plan to just run trains for the first 90 minutes and then transition into the operating session. What a cool way to get everyone familiar with the equipment and the layout.
A quick question though, some of the steamheads that I know do not allow smoke because they claim that the residue gets all over track, scenery etc. Have you had any issues like this?
Good luck with the session and have loads of fun.

Haven't noticed any problem from smoke residue. I run the dust monkeys in my trains all the time now so the track stays pretty clean and conductive.

A couple pictures. Train crews working out switching issues.
1117181555.jpg
1117181556.jpg

I thought you said you got rid of all the modern rolling stock? 1970s RailBox prominently displayed in the middle of the first image... ;):p

My ideal "Operating Session" would consist of myself and nobody else in my train room, with me sipping a Rum & Coke from my operating location and never consulting a Dispatcher's Schedule or walking around the layout to see it from different perspectives.

I'll have hoppers, boxcars, and gondolas filled with commercial loads, but they will never be delivered anywhere! The hobos riding my rods will never get a chance to get off until I shut down my railroad, and they'll still be in the High Desert Wilderness! Ha Ha Ha!

Brakeman Hal
005 (10).JPG
002 (23).JPG

Last edited:

Back