Older Athearn SW7 questions

smlull163

Greetings from Hampton Roads VA (Virginia Beach). I'm getting back into model railroading, (long story, oldest son moved, took trains, grew up, has son, that sort of thing) (Also, found this forum by Google and this is first post)
I have looked through the house and found an old Athearn SW7 switcher. I had already repowered it years previous. The shell is in okay shape, it has no details or grab bars or anything. Are these parts still available?

I've included pictures if that helps.

I do remember, vaguely, that North west short line made parts, do they still exist?

Thanks in advance!
Scott
Virginia

Horizon still has a few parts for them available (railings, stancions, etc.) until they run out. Mine is missing a horn, which I'll have to get from someone else anyway, because mine will be redone into a early SW14. Mine's still at the shop being converted over to LED lights and DCC. It was my first HO locomotive.

If you want to get some paint on that engine and dont trust yourself, I recommend TMLW- He did my whole fleet of EP locomotives for me, and he does very good work. He can do just about anything you want.

The only other one i know of as far as a factory swap would be the SW7 calf shell. (SW7 without a cab)

Does anyone know of any interchangeable shells for the SW7?

Scott

A long time ago Cary Locomotive Works made a pretty nice Alco S1 or S2 die cast metal shell for that. Back then it was the only thing in an Alco S switcher unless you wanted to go with big bucks brass. I built a Cary / Athearn S1 and still have it and run it. As far as I know Cary is long gone and I don't recall any other maker of shells for that engine. Meanwhile keep an eye open at train shows and swap meets as a used Athearn job shows up a lot for short money and even less for just the shells.

If you come across a Cary kit and are thinking of doing the Alco conversion on that frame I wouldn't bother simply because Atlas has an S2 that is 1000% better in looks and performance.

With a bit of work, the P2K SW9/1200 shell will also fit. The handrails are still available from Athearn for the SW-7 and it's perfectly possible to add a few more detail parts and make it looks as good as any engine being produced today.

Hi !

I think that the SW1500 fit too ?

I probably have the original Athearn handrail and maybe other pieces, if you are interrested to pay the shipping, send me a PM and i will check that.

Thanks !

Hi !

I think that the SW1500 fit too ?

I probably have the original Athearn handrail and maybe other pieces, if you are interrested to pay the shipping, send me a PM and i will check that.

Thanks !

The SW1000/1500 have a totally different frame. An example of both. SW7/S12 on the left. SW1000/1500 on the right.

100_4906.jpg

On a side note I think bowser acquired all the carry stuff. If I remember right they still had some of the carry stuff listed on there web site.

Would you have the parts list and blow up diagram of the SW-7? I have an SP that ended up hitting the floor and I broke one of the gears on the drive axles and one of the couplers and I can not find the part numbers for those anywhere.

To: paulmann1 (SW7 parts)

Sadly, I do not have an exploded view of the SW7. Plus tonight I found out that the axles I have are cracked, so again to the drawing board. By the time I'm done with this project, I could have bought a new MDC15!

Pictures to follow.

Scott
Virginia Beach, Va

Sadly, I do not have an exploded view of the SW7. Plus tonight I found out that the axles I have are cracked, so again to the drawing board. By the time I'm done with this project, I could have bought a new MDC15!

Pictures to follow.

Scott
Virginia Beach, Va

Scott, send me a PM with a list of the parts you need. I have quite a few SW7 parts laying around.

Back