Older Athearn kit questions

SigfanUSAF

Gunsmith
I have aquired an older BB Athearn SD45 dummy, kit number 4182. This is the older run, with the metal sideframes:eek: . I had bought it with the intention of using the frame, trucks and handrails for a RPP SD45 shell, however I cannot use these trucks.

"The standard guide to Athearn Model Trains" lists this as an OP3 kit.

Is this worth anything as is? Or should I part it out and keep my eye out for newer style trucks?

Dave,

The older BB athearn kits are OK. The newer RTR SD-45 kits have much more detail and run smoother. So it's really a personal choice. I have a few older BB kits that run OK and look good after adding detail parts. Where are you at in NC, we're probably close.

I'm in Gastonia:)

I'm not going to use the shell or trucks of it if I do part it. I'm just wondering if it's worth not parting out because of the metal truck sideframes/age.

Dave,

The older BB athearn kits are OK. The newer RTR SD-45 kits have much more detail and run smoother. So it's really a personal choice. I have a few older BB kits that run OK and look good after adding detail parts. Where are you at in NC, we're probably close.

Dave,

I'm on the other side, near Fayetteville. Well you can always keep it as a dummy unit or part it out. I've seen people sell them for parts. Lots of people out there always looking to fix or repair their older BB kits.

Back