Old west layout, need advice, size 2' x 4'

Stern

Hi all,

My maximum layout space is 2' x 4', no harm if its smaller :)
The theme is Old Wild West. Is there anyone who have done a layout in this style I can use as guide.

I am now finish with the space for my setup, and need advice in future progress.

locomotive and passenger wagons
locomotive and coal-wagons
Water tower and coal tower
wood fuel shed
two stations, with small towns
coal mine and workers
large wood bridge
tunnels and stone bridge

Towns people
coal workers
train robbers
63868473.jpgbridgeTrain-500.jpgHighWaterTrain1907-500.jpg

Attachments

• 20121101__20121104_E10_BK04COLUMN~p1.jpg
    20121101__20121104_E10_BK04COLUMN~p1.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 230
Bachmann sells some mid-1860's equipment. The 4-4-0 doesn't have the best reputation for good running. Atlas has brought in a 4-4-0 that is on the modern side for your period. Also check the Athearn line for passenger, box, refrigerator, and stock cars.

Musket Minatures sells western animals, calvery, and some buildings. Also one of the laser kit companies advertises Old West buildings, but i don't remember the name.

Glenn

I have a pair of Bachmann 1860s locos. They are about 20 yrs old and still run good. BUT I have not run them long and hard. One is a wood burner the other coal, the dif is the smoke stacks. The motor is in the tender and there is NO ROOM to add DCC etc. Bachmann has matching passenger and freight cars. They are a bit more delicate than most N scale but with care they can run and last.

Athearn has some old 2-8-0's. They took over the MRC line of 2-8-0's. There is room in the Athearn 2-8-0 for a TCS Z scale decoder on top of the motor in the tender under the coal load.

Back