Old brass caboose

zoegraf

Craftsman at heart
I decided to fix up an old brass caboose, which had a lot of flaws, nicks, and a questionable paint job. A little white putty and some touch ups with GTW Morency Orange paint helped out. Also sanded off the lousy leaf decals and replaced them with Microscale decals.
I got a little crazy with weathering and dullcote to hide the other flaws. Some flaws I couldn't fix like the crooked windows.
Since I have a narrow layout and rarely ever turn the cars around, I decided to put different leafs on each side of the caboose. Kind of like having two cabooses in one.

Nice work on your caboose and clever idea about the different logos. I have a friend with an older O scale shelf layout and because his cars never get turned he lettered many of them with different road names on each side to double his roster.

Nice work on your caboose and clever idea about the different logos. I have a friend with an older O scale shelf layout and because his cars never get turned he lettered many of them with different road names on each side to double his roster.

Thanks.

If I knew TLT was going to make CNR cabooses, I would have never bought this brass caboose. Anyhow, now I got to go through a bunch of boxes in storage to find the original brass caboose trucks. I think Kadee makes caboose trucks now. I'm going to look into it; I prefer the Kadees.

The lettering on the caboose is not in its typical location, but I found a prototype photo with the lettering in that position so I went with it to make it more of a unique CNR caboose.

By the way, some of my rolling stock are only weathered on one side. Hehehe

so you gave up on 1974?

I am still collecting for 1974. As for cabooses, I ordered this Overland and still have to put the windows back into the TLT. I'd like to get another wooden caboose, but model it as if it were showing its years like in this shot. Perhaps a wooden kit could get me that look.
Also would like to replace the windows on my brass caboose with wooden ones or plastic. Might be able to make them by scratch, but that will be a project for the future.

I like some of those old brass cabooses. About the only way to get nearly any decent representation of mostly every caboose.

I like some of those old brass cabooses. About the only way to get nearly any decent representation of mostly every caboose.

So true especially back then.

I like the TLTs, but didn't like the transparency of the plastic. I had to paint the interiors a dark colour and dullcote the crap out of them. I should have primed and repainted the the ladder/panel ends; at a certain angle, strong light can be seen going through them. If I was to do it all over again, I'd try to get one unpainted/undecorated.

That is the reason they are on the table. We were going through them to decide what to leave off so they would fit in the caboose yard. I think we left off a half dozen or so.

Can we see the caboose yard once they are in it?

Back