Old Bachmann repairs?

JimmyG

I have an older HO Bachmann Mikado that has quit running. The repairs are beyond my skills (nor do I have the time). It's a nice looking engine and my wife gave it to me for Christmas about 20 years ago. I loved watching it run and the MM&W could use some bigger motive power. I can't find anyone to repair it. Any ideas on where I can get it fixed?:confused:
P.S. Merry Christmas to you all!

The problem your dealing with is the cost of repairing it will exceed the value of the train several times over. I saw that same engine new at Trainworld for $49. If you must run that body, buy a new one and swap shells. Repairing it by a pro will cost 3 times that.

Yea Bachmann's lifetime warranty just asks that if the train is over year old to send in $15 with it if it's a steam engine and $10 if it's a diesel. I did that on a little switcher that was right around 20 years old.

Hey, Nick! Thanks! I had not looked at the box but it says right on there "Lifetime Limited Warranty." I filled out the reqyuest for repairs online. We'll see what develops.

Bachmann sent me an email stating that I need to send the loco with $15. Here's hoping there won't be a lot of extra fees to get it repaired. If you guys want to hear what happens, I'll let you know.

All Bachman will do will ask you if you want a newer version of your engine. They will not repair the old one unless it is an easy fix !

My guess is that the smoke unit tended to short out the loco. I had removed it to see if things got better, but it didn't. Instead it eventually quit running altogether. I sent the loco in to Bachmann the day before Christmas. We'll see how long it takes and whether they repair or replace the engine.

It will be interesting to see what Bachman doe in your case ? I'm betting they will just replace the whole engine and not repair it .

FYI, I'm still waiting on the Mikado to show up in the mail. I wanted to keep this thread going until either the old Mikado reappears or a new one appears. I'm thinking that some people might still be curious as to what happens.

I'm curious, since I have 2 that need repairs. One the drivers slip out of quarter, another the motor smoked.

The third runs great though! :D

Rotor

Thanks It takes awhile for Bachman to reply. Don't know why .They must be busy in that department with all the repairs but why does it take so long to find out that they will replace the darn thing ?

Bachmann called

A man from Bachmann called me last Thursday and said the loco cannot be repaired and that they will replace it with a new one. He then asked me which one I wanted. I chose a different loco, a 2-6-0, Rock Island lettering. Like OldGettysk said, why did it take so long to figure out it needed to be replaced? :confused: He stated that it should go to shipping in a day or two. Needless to say, I'm watching for it. I will report when I get it. :D

I find it very comforting to hear that manufacturers stand behind their products like that. :) Can't wait to see the new one when it arrives.

Don't want to say I told you so Lol ! Did they say anything about your old engine ? I know on diesels they will send your old shell back if it is customized . But their word is good about their lifetime warranty .

Back