Okay, final track plan!

Alright fellas, I had a post earlier about trying to design a 4x8 ho scale layout. Well that just isnt going to cut it with the radius I wan't so I'm going with a 5x9 table. Since I'm going to make my layout here at my college apartment I don't have much for tools so I am purchasing a ping pong table from craigslist and using that as my base. That way I don't need a bunch of tools to assemble my table. But anyways, Im looking for a layout with 2 continous running trains, and some spurs for industries. I'm moddeling norfolk southern, and I'm hoping to have a min radius around 24. Thanks guys, I'm open to criticism.

Do you have to stick with a table? Can you do something around the room with a lift out section for the doorway? Remember, you may have to reach to the middle of the table for stuff and the table will take up a larger chunk of the room than an around the wall layout. Plus, with an around the room layout, you have more running track and room for more sidings.

I'm going to guess that a college apartment isn't going to be conducive to an around the walls sort of layout :)

But at the same time, the ping pong table will have it's own concerns. You'll likely want to reinforce its surface rigidity to prevent sagging. The models are going to be a lot more weight than a flying ping-pong ball. Some 1x2s screwed to the underside should be helpful.

Next, maintaining minimum of 24" on a table is going to make track planning rather difficult. If you're just looking for mainline runs with a small amount of spurs you could go spaghetti style and maybe cram in a fair amount of track, using lots of elevation for crossing over without worrying about timing. Do you want double-tracked main line, or two single tracks following their own path?

Yeah running around the ourskirts is a big no no. My landlord has a ton of crap in the basement and getting him to do anything takes him months, Plus this layout needs to be mobile. I can take each side of the pong table down and move it. Its also going to accesible from all sides, and I'm 6'4" so reaching isnt a problem. I was looking at 2 mainlines running along eachother, but im open to other ideas. I'm okay with a oval type of layout with spurs on the inside. Really, any ideas work.
Also, concerning the radius, I am just trying to make it large so I have less derailments and overhang and such. I can go smaller, but I deff dont wanna be below 22.

Back