Ok one nore Norfolk Southern ?

tlark

Only b/c my original thread has morphed into a debate I will ask due to my own ignorance between the brands.

Are the Kato and Atlas Engines comparable with repsect to pulling power and/or quality. The Kato's in the last thread all went for north of $100, a couple at $175 and now these Atlas engines are up there too.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=at...&_odkw=atlas+Norfolk+southern++8-40&_osacat=0

Is it the horse head logo or what. I would like to add one but not at this cost. Kato is reproducing CNW, you think someone from KATO would take notice of a possible trend here !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
new listings on ebay!

since you last wrote about the atlas items on ebay there has been a number more of these posted at really good starting bids :)

(quote) Are the Kato and Atlas Engines comparable with repsect to pulling power and/or quality. The Kato's in the last thread all went for north of $100, a couple at $175 and now these Atlas engines are up there too.

Atlas, Kato & Stewart are all Great engines & most have a lot of details. All are great pullers. Anything on EBay that is in these mfgr.'s list won't have a low bid when the bid comes to an end. remember on the other thread you started I said they would be over a hundred bucks a pc. by the end of the bid. Well, the same thing w/these engines. By the time the 4 or 5 or 6 day end comes for these engines they will be way over $100.00 ea. If you want to bid on anything on EBay you need to wait till the last 3 or 4 hrs. Then you will see what I mean about the price. 3 months ago you could have got those engines for less than a hundred by the end of the bid, but not now.
The starting bids are higher now than they were 3 months ago. So, if your on a budget I would recommend buying them online at a good hobby shop or getting them from your local shop & they will probably be cheaper.

If ya dont wanna pay the prices on ebay you would be best of buying an undecerated unit and painting & decaling it.

If your into that type of thing. Good thing about NS is they are all one color and decals well not much to em.

(quote)
The starting bids are higher now than they were 3 months ago. So, if your on a budget I would recommend buying them online at a good hobby shop or getting them from your local shop & they will probably be cheaper.

You and others were spot on w/respect to $ they would sell for on ebay. I have a lot of experience on ebay and know it cane be a last minute bidding war at times.

I wish I could find a CW in the NS scheme at a local hobby shop as you suggested, but I have seen none. Me thinks they have been gone for a while but as I stated I am no expert. I don't mind paying fair money on one but what these have been going for online is nuts. If anyone has a lead on any please PM me.

tlark,
Check out Toy Train Heaven, Standard Hobbies & Model Railcraft Depot on line. These are the 3 places I buy from & they have real good discounts, especially in their clearance sales area's.

your best bet for NS is to buy undec's and paint them your self

here's a nice decal set
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120480660682&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

then pick up a loco from model train stuff for $64.00
http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/v/vspfiles/photos/ATH-78944-2.jpg

strip and spray for a lot less the the e-bay price

OR buy the stuff ship it to me and i;ll do it for you

My thoughts exatly as i stated above. Ive got some decal sheets somewhere for NS i been thinking of doing a few engines up just to resell if they would go near what some of the stuff on ebay is. Then I could buy me more Up engines lol.

Back