Number Twelve Coffee Shop is now open

Ray, I sure hope your BIL really is doing better but I wouldn't count on it. OTOH, long-time alcoholics sometimes show an amazing resilience to what would kill the rest of us.

I don't know what the safety problems are that need to be fixed but we had a Boy Scout camp in our county where the leaders were very lax about supervising the boys on hikes and overnights away from the main camp. This resulted in several lost scouts that we had to go look for. All those cases turned out fine, with the kid being found basically OK, but we were getting two or three lost scout calls a month. I had a talk with the leaders and told them they needed to tighten up on their supervision or one of their boys was going to get seriously injured or killed. Sure enough, we had another call of a missing scout two weeks later. We searched for almost three days before we found his body at the bottom of a 60 foot cliff. They went out on a night hike with only one adult and the scout managed to wander off the trail. He walked a mile in the wrong direction (no compass either) before his flashlight quit. If he had just sat down and waited, we would have found him that night. Instead, he used what he thought was the North Star, which really had to be Jupiter from his direction of travel, to get back to camp. He walked less than 1/2 mile before he walked right of this cliff and died instantly of head injuries. He was 12 years old. :( I hope my story might help your folks understand why following the rules are so important to the children's safety.

Ike is starting a rapid intensification phase again, with the pressure falling 11 millibars in the past two hours. The winds haven't caught up with the pressure drop yet so he's still a cat 2 but he'll be a cat 3 by tomorrow. The track has shifted very slightly northeast, putting Galveston a little more at risk. I think this a wobble and the area of greatest risk is between Freeport and Corpus Christi. They are having a lot of trouble getting people to evacuate since so many in that area are illegal immigrants and they are afraid the Border Patrol will grab them. I don't think there's much they can do besides handcuffing them all and throwing them on busses and that's not going to happen. All we can do is pray that God protects the foolish and the scared.

09-11-2008

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png
:eek:
SteakEggs.png

THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png
Diner.png

menu_breakfast_1.png
waitress3.png

Today is the 11th of September. Never forget! I'm a fire fighter and I'll never forget the significance of 9/11.

It's 77 and mostly clear. The high is expected to be around 90 and it will be mostly cloudy.

Yesterday I rebuilt an old Mehano caboose (probably sold under the AHM name) and a third LS&W Bachmann hopper. That leaves two Bachmann gondola bodies in the package I received earlier this week.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 9/11/2008

Heat Index: 82°F
Humidity: 84%
Dew Point: 72°F

So Far Today
High: 79°F
Low: 77°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 6mph E

Now through 08:15 AM CDT September 11, 2008

Isolated showers were noted in the coastal waters of southwest Louisiana moving rapidly to the west.

Today High: 92 Partly cloudy in the morning then becoming mostly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the lower 90s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 75 Mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the mid 70s. East winds 10 to 15 mph.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n3/proudIndian/P1010102-1.jpg

I hear ya Jeffrey, I'm a former FF, and today is my birthday.

editted to eliminate political comment leg

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear ya Jeffrey, I'm a former FF, and today is my birthday.
Hear, hear!

For those who tend to take their freedom for granted, I've lived in parts of the world that are ruled by totalitarian governments. The freedom we enjoy as US citizens is a distant and unobtainable dream to the people in those countries. They can't understand our freedom because they've never had it. Don't forget the price that was paid and is still being paid for you to have it.

Freedom isn't free!

Good Morning ! From The Niagara Frontier , It's pretty darn cool only 49 this morning suppose to get up to 74 but we wil see . At least it's sunshiney out . My prayers go out to all the families who lost loved ones on this day . And also to all the loved ones who passed away who have kept are country free. My we all remember the cost of freedom !!! Hope all remain save also in the wake of IKE !!

Thanks Jim.

I don't know what the safety problems are that need to be fixed but we had a Boy Scout camp in our county where the leaders were very lax about supervising the boys on hikes and overnights away from the main camp. This resulted in several lost scouts that we had to go look for. All those cases turned out fine, with the kid being found basically OK, but we were getting two or three lost scout calls a month. I had a talk with the leaders and told them they needed to tighten up on their supervision or one of their boys was going to get seriously injured or killed. Sure enough, we had another call of a missing scout two weeks later. We searched for almost three days before we found his body at the bottom of a 60 foot cliff. They went out on a night hike with only one adult and the scout managed to wander off the trail. He walked a mile in the wrong direction (no compass either) before his flashlight quit. If he had just sat down and waited, we would have found him that night. Instead, he used what he thought was the North Star, which really had to be Jupiter from his direction of travel, to get back to camp. He walked less than 1/2 mile before he walked right of this cliff and died instantly of head injuries. He was 12 years old. :( I hope my story might help your folks understand why following the rules are so important to the children's safety.

That is why for Safe Scouting 2 deep leadership is required. The slowest Scout should always be right behind whoever is leading the front of the line. An adult leader should be at each end. Now it is perfectly OK to have the SPL or another Scout be the hike leader, but an adult needs to be right there. They are also supposed to stop frequently to check that all is well. And that is for day hikes........ Most accidents happen when one or more of the published rules learned in training are ignored. In the case of the troop I was working with several rules were being ignored pertaining to aquatic activities. Safe Swim Defense, a requirement for troop aquatic activities was not being used at all. Same with Safety Afloat for boating. No PFDs being used or even available, boys out in a turbid pond in canoes, no lifeguard......... The final straw for me is that the Scoutmaster has started to erect a zip line out over the water. Zip lines are a High COPE activity which has very rigid guidelines and must only be done at the council or national level supervised by trained staff. The equipment on the course must be outside certified every 4 years as well as a yearly inspection by Regional COPE Camp teams. That is not even noticing the trampoline and a few other things.

Mornin' everyone!

Yes, today is 9/11. I will take some time to think and pray for those whose lives were so deeply changed a few years ago on that date. I will also give some time to praying for world peace.

I will be hand laying track this afternoon and evening. Well I will be working on the crew that will be laying track.... 1/1 scale over at the museum. Since I know nothing about hand laying track (other than in 1/87 scale) it should be a real learning experience.

Later!

That is why for Safe Scouting 2 deep leadership is required. The slowest Scout should always be right behind whoever is leading the front of the line. An adult leader should be at each end. Now it is perfectly OK to have the SPL or another Scout be the hike leader, but an adult needs to be right there. They are also supposed to stop frequently to check that all is well. And that is for day hikes........ Most accidents happen when one or more of the published rules learned in training are ignored.
Those are the same rules that were used when I was a Scout leader back in the 80's. There's no such thing as too much safety where the lifes and welfare of the boys are concerned.

Afternoon, everyone.

I spent the day at a friend's mining operation in central Alabama. It's quite a deal he has going. I can't say much about what the mine is producing but let's just say it's a profitable metal and one that has never been mined in Alabama before.

Is it that set up where you run water through barrels of a certain type of volcanic cinders to extract a metal? I administered a set up like that when I worked for the Forest Service. It was easy to approve from an environmental impact perspective.

Just talked to the daughter that lives in the north metro Houston area. She, and most all of her neighbors are going to ride out the storm. Seems most remember the nightmare of being stuck on the highways during Rita(?). From watching the track and reading the reports, Houston Metro (5 million plus) will get high winds and torrential rains regardless of the exact landfall. They get it on the right side when Ike comes in and then as it makes its turn to the North. It is easy to say that the people are foolish not to evacuate, but how do you move 5 million in a couple of days...you don't, as they have already proven. Now those on the coast itself...run like HELL:eek: !

Don't the years go quick, can't believe it's seven years already since the disaster. I always think about my wifes Aunt, Uncle and children and how close they came to death, they went up to the top a day earlier than they should have done for breakfast, they have all these pictures taken with the staff in the restraunt, and to think none of them new it would be there last day alive is horrible. god bless them all.

Would not like to be in the path of Ike at all, good luck to everyone.

Afternoon, everyone.

9/11 again. I always remember all the emergency services workes as well as just regular working folks that died so needlessly that day. The foolishness of hatred that brings nothing but death and destruction. Maybe someday we'll learn. I'm also waiting for the day when we finally get Obama in custody. One way or another, he will pay for his crimes.

Steve, that's a pretty chilling story.

Rex, it's really not possible to evacuate a city the size of Houston, especially when there won't be more than 48 hours notice of the point of landfall. Houston is going to have some flooding problems, as they always do. Galveston is in a far more precarious postion depending on the storm surge. As you said, anyone who's on the coast should already be leaving. Texas has made a lot of changes in their evacuation procedures since the fiasco that was Rita. One of the things they've done is set up a fuel management team with several hundred tank trucks so gas stations will always have fuel during the evacuations. They are also self contained so they can pump fuel even when the grid goes down. I'm sure you've noticed the gas prices going up here in the past few days. One of the reasons is that they are pushing so much fuel to Texas to make sure they don't run out.

Paul, I think you've probably made a close guess to what the mine is doing. It's a little more complicated than just running water through barrels but the environmental impact is small and he's getting a metal which has never been extracted before in Alabama.

Ray, I'm glad to see that people like you are trying to enfroce those Scouting safety rules. It all seems like a big hassle until you get a child seriously injured or killed. The entire Scout organization was realigned after the death I wrote about and a lot of the paid people were fired. I never did hear the outcome of the negligent death lawsuit but I'm sure the parents won and the award was substantial. Between the safety of the scouts and the huge liability issues, there's a lot at stake here.

Ike is really behaving weird. There was a huge central pressure drop early this morning but now the pressure has risen slightly. Flight level winds are being measured at cat 3 strength but the hurricane hunters can't find winds above 70 mph at the surface. The eye has shrunk to about two miles wide but Ike has a wind field bigger than Katrina, with hurricane force winds out to 120 miles and tropical storm force winds out to 270 miles. At this point, I don't know if Ike is going through some strange eyewall replacement cycle or is actually getting weaker. The landfall is still far from certain except somewhere between Corpus Christi and Galveston. I'll post some more later when there are some more hurricane hunter reports but I'm totally baffled as to why Ike is doing what he is now.

Jim- I saw your comments about the mine,"I think you've probably made a close guess to what the mine is doing. It's a little more complicated than just running water through barrels but the environmental impact is small and he's getting a metal which has never been extracted before in Alabama."
Please remind your friend that it takes very little plutonium to reach critical mass and go BANG.
I hope his mining operation is on the south side of Birmingham!:rolleyes:

Mikey

Mikey, it's not plutonium so have no fear there. :)

Here's an extract from the Galveston Weather Service Office 3:00 update:

All neighborhoods... and possibly entire coastal communities... will be inundated during high tide. Persons not heeding evacuation orders in single family one or two story homes will face certain death. Many residences of average construction directly on the coast will be destroyed. Widespread and devastating personal property damage is likely elsewhere.

I hope this kind of clear and downright scary message will get the point across to anyone who's thinking about staying. Ike is still a cat 2 with a cat 4 storm surge. At some point, the winds will funnel down to the surface and it's going to hit as a 110 mph hurricane. The models keep edging the storm closer to Galveston although still close to Corpus Christi as well. We should know better by late tonight but it looks like both cities and the areas in between may suffer a major catastrophe. :(

BTW, there's another tropical depression forming just north of Puerto Rico. :eek:

Please remind your friend that it takes very little plutonium to reach critical mass and go BANG.
I hope his mining operation is on the south side of Birmingham!:rolleyes:

Mikey
The only way you'll mine plutonium is if your digging it out of a breeder reactor. Plutonium is manmade, a highly toxic leftover from uranium.

Mikey, it's not plutonium so have no fear there. :)

Here's an extract from the Galveston Weather Service Office 3:00 update:

All neighborhoods... and possibly entire coastal communities... will be inundated during high tide. Persons not heeding evacuation orders in single family one or two story homes will face certain death. Many residences of average construction directly on the coast will be destroyed. Widespread and devastating personal property damage is likely elsewhere.

I hope this kind of clear and downright scary message will get the point across to anyone who's thinking about staying. Ike is still a cat 2 with a cat 4 storm surge. At some point, the winds will funnel down to the surface and it's going to hit as a 110 mph hurricane. The models keep edging the storm closer to Galveston although still close to Corpus Christi as well. We should know better by late tonight but it looks like both cities and the areas in between may suffer a major catastrophe. :(

BTW, there's another tropical depression forming just north of Puerto Rico. :eek:
The best thing to do with this storm is get the heck out of it's way! We have evacuees coming through Leesville now. The traffic is something else!

Evening everyone!

Weather

Hot and breezy, some random Tstorm bans thanks to Ike. I've been missed every time one rolls by:mad: Thanks Ike, If my house was the broad side of a barn you still couldn't hit it!:rolleyes:

Local News

Hernando teen killed on the way to bus stop
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/...=11&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1
Just another reason to teach kids to be careful as they walk to their bus stops and school!

Dirty foot bandit arrested
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/...n=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1
"Note to self, wash feet and brush your teeth before robbing a bank!:D "

Personal Note

"Flo, I'll have the all you can eat Maga Bar! also I'll have a Iced tea to drink with that, and put that on Rex's tab!:D "

Not much going on here, SSDD!:rolleyes: I have been working my tail off, and no end in sight! So I put in for a four day weekend next month!:D But until then I shall continue to work hard until I drop!:rolleyes:

Hey Chris - I got a lawn-mowing question for ya:

My lawn hasn't been mowed in 3 weeks, because of back-to-school schedule gridlock and rainy weather on weekends. And it's about to happen again: I planned to mow my entire lawn on Saturday, but there'll be heavy rain on Friday and intermittent showers throughout Saturday. I've reached the do-or-die point with my grass - any taller and my neighbors will all descend on us with torches and clubs. I'm thinking of just saying t'hell with it, I'll mow whether its raining or not! Will doing that be simply inconvenient/uncomfortable, or do I risk serious damage to the mower?

I just had an idea how the municipalities all along the Gulf coast could lessen the damage to peoples' homes during even a cat 5 hurricane: Change the building codes to only allow people to live in RV's, and prohibit any further beachfront construction. Then when the people evacuate they can take their entire homes with them...:rolleyes: :D

Back