NS C40-9W build

ThoroughBreed

Dcc~detail~diesel freak
:cool: Heres what I did with a couple of the parts I requested in the wanted section (THANKS Jerome for the cab and fuel tank and air tanks):
My newest build, right out of the paint booth, still needing some detail work, will add another pic when completely finished; A Athearn Blue Box C40-9W, NS #9952 (and the decal isnt bent going upwards, just a trick on the lighting); I took the time to use microsol, and cut the decals to fit into the doors better, to make it look like the doors actually open.
When I got the loco, it was just the body and frame, no motor or trucks, now it has a mashima can motor and nwsl wheel sets, is dcc'd with a Lenz Gold decoder and runs oh so quiet and smooth on notch 1. I still need to add grabirons, sun shades, a plow, install all the lighting including operating ditch lights, and other misc parts.:cool:
9952.jpg

Beauty! You'd never know that started out as an Athearn BB model. I'll bet she'll be one of you best runners with the new wheeles and can motor. Good to see people still upograding BB's.

Did you use the BNSF style X panels, and staggered grill (Phase II as Athearn likes to call them) units?

This is from an early c44-9w release. The guy I got it from, said it was an CSX unit, he stripped it, removed the cab, and was gonna try and make it a standard cab with high hood.:cool:

This is from an early c44-9w release. The guy I got it from, said it was an CSX unit, he stripped it, removed the cab, and was gonna try and make it a standard cab with high hood.:cool:
Ahh, cool! I wasn't sure, you know how black washes out the detailing!

I any case, I was looking at doing a D9-40C & D9-40CW duet, and I noticed the CW's had staggered grills, and the same 4 X-panel design as BNSF units. Details West has a NS Dash 9 detail pack coming, so I'll begin after that is released.

Back