Northlandz

Larry

Long Winded Old Fart
Has anyone on this forum ever made the trip to Northlandz in Flemington, NJ?
I use to hear about it all the time when it first opened. Not seen anything about it for many years. I keep saying I'm going to make the trip, but never do.:rolleyes:

Has anyone on this forum ever made the trip to Northlandz in Flemington, NJ?
I use to hear about it all the time when it first opened. Not seen anything about it for many years. I keep saying I'm going to make the trip, but never do.:rolleyes:

I've been there. My son lives in Flemington, NJ. Apparently their model railroad display is in the Guiness World Record book as the largest model railroad in the world.

Been there, done....

It's OK. Very big but a lot of smaller, disconnected, oversized diorama type layouts alongside each other. Great scenery but nothing for the operating purist.

Worth seeing if you're in the area, but I wouldn't go too for out of the way if you're a modeler, not just a choo-choo nut.

I've been there. My son lives in Flemington, NJ. Apparently their model railroad display is in the Guiness World Record book as the largest model railroad in the world.

Don't look now, but I think they have lost that distinction.
http://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/
According to thier videos, its bigger already, and with another section coming this year, it should have doubled in size by the time they are done (10 years?)
Check the videos on the web page. Too cool!:D

I've been there also. I agree with RonK on the assessment. It's interesting to visit but won't knock your socks off. As Karl wrote, the Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg is orders of magnitude larger and there are enough different scenes to keep you occupied an entire day.

You know one would think with a layout THAt BIG they would run longer trains:rolleyes: watched a DVD on the place and all the trains were 10 cars or least,I mean come onnnnnnnnnn:D
Larry

I think since it still runs on DC, they might have issues with longer trains derailing (the system not knowing), but since the German one runs on a computer system, if a train doesn't leave a block, then things behind it start shutting down until the problem is rectified.

Oh come on now :rolleyes: I run DC only and I run min of 45 cars and 5 loco's (all powered) oh wait that layout is HO scale LOL :D :rolleyes::p and that is my inner most mainline:rolleyes:

Seeing how I lived in Flemington for quite some time...I believe the issue is that they don't get a lot of people. Business is typically slow...so there isn't much incentive to make it better.

The Chicago Museum of Science and Industry is one of those places you can spend five days and not see everything. Although not strictly a model railroad layout, the size and scope of the model of Chicago is awe-inspiring.

Back