Northern Pacific Rocky Valley Branch Switching Layout Build

Thanks!

The oil platform is a little frustrating to be honest. The directions aren’t the best and unfortunately a few of the pieces in the kit are warped making things a little tricky.

Surprise! Surprise!😁

Walthers kits have the least user friendly instructions of any manufacturer. You will probably have extra pieces on the sprue that aren't even for your model. Just take your time and test fit, multiple times, before gluing.

Rocky Valley Branch Update:

Not too much work was completed this week but I managed to get a few things done. The first thing I did was some additional scenic work around the base of the hills as well as the space next to the coal piles and grade crossing.

IMG_6685.jpeg

IMG_6687.jpeg

IMG_6686.jpeg

I still need to apply weathering powders on various spots before continuing with those areas.

I’ve ordered some static grass and the static king applicator which should be in this coming week. I will be adding patches of static grass around the layout to provide additional detail. I’ve also ordered some bushes and rocks to provide additional detail as well.

Most of my work this week was focused on the oil loading platform kit. As mentioned previously, I decided to use it in combination with the industrial tank set to create an oil distribution center. This is what I’ve come up with:

IMG_6693.jpeg

IMG_6694.jpeg

The plan is to utilize this tank and a background image of another tank to complete the facility. Two of the pipes are oriented towards the direction of the backdrop for this purpose. I still need to attach the unloading hoses which will connect to pipes I’ll add at the bottom of the platform.

Did a little more work today. I was able to continue with scenics around the area where the loading dock will be located.

IMG_6695.jpeg

I also completed more scenic work around the coal pile and abandoned track.

IMG_6697.jpeg

IMG_6698.jpeg

I was also able to nearly complete the construction of the oil distribution platform. I installed pipes on the bottom using a leftover piece I had and I created unloading hoses using leftover plastic pieces I cut off another pipe and some leather cording material from Michael’s Arts and Crafts.

IMG_6704.jpeg

IMG_6700.jpeg

Back