Noob here, my first layout...pic inside!!

scooter1985

Well im completely new to model train..I have been a avid RC'er for a long time..I thought I would build a layout and see where it went..This is where im at so far..Let me know what you think..Any input would be greatly appreciated!

100_0749.JPG

100_0750.JPG

100_0751.JPG

100_0752.JPG

100_0753.JPG

The track is way too close to the edge. I foresee a loco making a cornfield meet with the floor. Is there a way you can put a low edge on the table? Nothing big, just enough to keep anything from going off.

I could do that..As of right now its on my wife's kitchen table :S lol...Im not sure if it will go on a table or on the ground..Thank you for the info, I would hate to see the engine smashed on the first go around...

Yeah, especially if it's one you built up from pieces out of the parts box. I have a pair of SDP40F's that were rebuilt just that way and I'd hate to lose them. One was an Athearn blue box drive that's been rebuilt to an Athearn hex shaft drive with a new motor and new gears and the other one was a dummy but has been completely repowered with a modified chassis from a Proto 2000 E6. They would be difficult to replace so I do what I can to safeguard them. There's only a 32" space where the track is close to the layout edge. There's plenty of soft stuff for them to fall on IF they should take a nose dive.

These were not built, I think they came already built, its a Santa Fe 6500 (4 of them) and a Union Pacific 2007...I looked them up on Ebay and they are cheap...I bought a guy out, he had all this stuff and I got it for $150 -the plywood, which was $10.00...I got alot of stuff, I have pics and will post them too...Would be good to know if I got a good deal or not...

I posted pics of all the stuff I got...I will be posting more pics of my build shortly...I think I messed up my track :( The ballast didnt get along with it too well....

Nice first layout. You will build a lot more, have fun with the first one, everything you learn will benefit you on future layouts and the never ending quest for bigger and more accurate modeling of real life railroading.

Sometimes people on these forums forget to encourage the new guys first attempt. Don't forget to have fun, because without that it's just more work.

Jerry

Back