Non-insulated frog turnouts and DCC

I'm contemplating the purchase of a DCC system in the near future, and have read about problems concerning non-insulated frogs on turnouts causing shorts. My small 5X10 foot layout has a mixture of Atlas and Shinohara turnouts. It was begun by my father and myself probably 12-14 years ago, and since my fathers passing in 2003, I've been slowly working on getting it running again. Are there options besides replacing all the Shinohara turnouts with the Atlas?. At this moment, the layout is partially wired for DC cab control w/ 8 blocks, but the panel is'nt wired, so I'm thinking this is the best time to make the change to DCC. Do I need to keep the blocks in the track?

Any recomendations for a good DCC system are much appreciated. I'm leaning towards the NCE PowerCab system right now because they are well supported here, and they list a local address for their offices, though I like the MRC and Digitrax beginner sets too.....Thanks..:D

I have the NCE powercab, it's nice and easy to use, i also have insulated frog turnouts, i only have a problem on one set with one loco, it shorts everything out in an instant, i may replace most of the turnouts with live electrofrog types and insulated joiners when money permits

Back