non-graphical layout design software

gregc

Apprentice Modeler
Are most people happy with the available mouse based layout design software? I found it tedious to get things aligned and connected for what I wanted to do and didn't need the precision using flex track. (I've done circuit board routing).

I found it a bit easier to describe my layout using a text file (similar to unix pic). Starting at some specific (x,y) position, I specify a sequence of straight (length), clockwise or counter-clockwise curved (radius and angle) segments. Along the way, a position can be named, and segments continued from that position later. A switch can be overlapping straight and curved segments starting at the same point.

After editing the file, it's processed by a program that can then generate an image on the screen or a file. It's an iterative process: edit file, update image, repeat. It's easy to copy the file to work on a new version or try something out.

I feel this is more like working pencil and paper, but does require some visualization when editing the file. The result shows how much room track elements require.

here is a fragment:
# tunnel
color red
pos 114 21
P0:
cw 15 225
seg 3

# terminal
P1: ccw 22 30
P2: ccw 22 15
P3:

# lower siding
seg 58

from P2
seg 8
P4:
ccw 22 15
seg 50.5

from P4
seg 8
ccw 22 15
seg 44​

see the attached imageView attachment 14317

Greg, I think you are part of a tiny minority that would like to design track plans using x-y coordinates. It sounds like you're comfortable with the process but most people would find it not only difficult but far beyond their abilities. Graphical design packages like AutCad have been the standard for many years, decades, actually, and I think almost everyone has adapted to that standard.

XTrkCad stores stuff in a text file. Not the format you describe by any means but you could try it.

For me I'll stick with the GUI.

Back