non-creative newbie needs help!

I'm new to the forum (hey fella's) and a COMPLETE NEWBIE to model trains. I just bought an "O" scale MTH for my soon-to-be 8 year old step son ("O" scale because of the chuffing smoke and cool sound system). When we arn't playing with it I want to slide it under his bed so I have limited space to work with. The plywood will be about 75" X 43" MAX with a max height of 12.5", the MTH train set "out-of-the-box" is a 51" X 31" oval layout so I'll be extending each side by 20" to give it some more range. As the title states...I am a completely non-creative type person but I would like to fill the layout with as much scenery as I can afford AND have it make sense. It's a steam freight train so I would like it to resemble some sort of freight yard. I have looked at several books with layouts and I can't seem to get a picture of a layout that I want to emulate. Does anyone have any full pictures of small freight yard layouts that I can get some ideas from? Thanks in advance for your help.:)

What a fantastic reason to get into trains. Hmm I have some insight about being non-creative, looking at a picture to recreate it is about as creative as paint by number. Take it slow and things will come together.

Oh yeah, Youtube is a great source of quick video's just search model trains. I have had great fun with the son watching trains on youtube.

Does this set use the MTH "RealTrax" track, the kind that's already built on a roadbed? Have you priced MTH switches? The switch and track for just one siding is about $75. A small four track yard would run you well over $200. Realistically, you're not going to have the space for even a small yard anyway. Check out the track plans at http://www.thortrains.net/trackplan/minimth1.html. I think one of these would be more realistic for the space you have available.

Does this set use the MTH "RealTrax" track, the kind that's already built on a roadbed? Have you priced MTH switches? The switch and track for just one siding is about $75. A small four track yard would run you well over $200. Realistically, you're not going to have the space for even a small yard anyway. Check out the track plans at http://www.thortrains.net/trackplan/minimth1.html. I think one of these would be more realistic for the space you have available.

Yeah, I think it does use the "RealTrax". Uhhhh....what switches are you talking about? The scenery doesn't have to be very realistic, I understand a real freight yard has multiple tracks but my step-son is a low spectrum autistic and he won't notice the accuracy flaws in the layout. He LOVES trains like most autistic kids and when he hears the chuffs and sees the smoke bellowing out he will crap his britches (not literally), so accuracy isn't that important but I would like to fill what little space I'll have with some "freight yard" stuff.

Welcome to the forum freight yard , What a nice idea for you stepson to be. I think if you tlak to Spacemouse he might be able to help you out with track planning and other insights . Just check out his site !! BTW Ho has the same qualities your looking for but on a smaller scale which would offer you and your stepson more excitement and more bang that would fit under the bed !!!

A switch is what you need for a train to go from one track to another. Since you want to build a freight yard, you need switches to have the train be able to go from the mainline into the yard. If you look at the layouts in the link I posted, you'll see where switches (sometimes also called turnouts) are located.

I'm wondering if something like a simple figure 8 layout wouldn't be just as good for your boy. The train has more running room and it doesn't sound like he's really going to get into switching cars around a freight yard. All you would need is a four way crossing in the middle of the figure eight and maybe a few more curved track sections. That would be less than $60 and still give your son the thrill of watching the train "switch" lines.

I'm wondering if something like a simple figure 8 layout wouldn't be just as good for your boy. The train has more running room and it doesn't sound like he's really going to get into switching cars around a freight yard. All you would need is a four way crossing in the middle of the figure eight and maybe a few more curved track sections. That would be less than $60 and still give your son the thrill of watching the train "switch" lines.

Great advice really. Why go all out beofre you even had any fun with them. A figure eight would get you up and running quickly andno stopping him from expanding later too.

Back