Nmra

You only get out of it what you are able to put into it. I have really enjoyed my 15 years as a member. I have been the Central Indiana Division's Superintendent (president). I was picked to fill out a term as trainmaster about 6 months after joining and it was an great experience I will always remember. Just about everyone has an opinion about NMRA but the hobby of model railroading would not be what it is today without it. They have gotten the industry to standardize equipment so Kato will run with Bachman. Continue to set standards so the advances to the hobby will operate together. Also most NMRA members I know are very helpful if you have a problem with your equipment or layout in giving you ideas and helping you in about any way they can.

I'd join just to support the continuing standardization as we move further into the world of electronics. I was a member for many years and then dropped out as my interest in trains was taken over by life. I'm joining up again since I'm back in the hobby. The NMRA magazine always contains a nugget or two of good advice and, as Larry says, most members are more than willing to give you a hand when you need it. When I first joined in 1967, you got a free clearance gauge for joining. I suspect that's not the case now but it's still a very worthwhile organization to support.

NMRA has more benefits than most people realize.
In addition to the model standards they help set, they represent the modelers interest in many industry conflicts.
I belong to a 100% NMRA club in Birmingham, Al. We are able to get affordable insurance for train shows and other events through the NMRA.
Individuals and clubs can insure their layouts and equipment separately from their homeowners policy through a company that works with the NMRA.
Conventions and meetings are organized by divisions, regionally and nationally. There are international regions also. Great places for modeling contests and clinics
The NMRA headquarters and library are great resources to members for prototype pictures and information. Of course, this forum is a great resource, too.:D
The bulletin has changed it's name to SCALE RAILS and has improved its modeling articles tremendously. New products and industry trends are highlighted monthly.
Social aspects of NMRA are what you make of it. Lots of great, friendly and helpful people. And there are some ignorate opinionated ones whose mouths are engaged before their brain is.
I may belong to the latter category, but I have enjoyed my 15 year membership. Mikey

The NMRA experience is going to be largely determined by your local region and division. I happen to belong to a very active division - MCR Division 7. I don't get involved in local politics but I did attend a meeting a couple weeks ago and there were probably 200 people there, plus clinic, layout tours, etc. Our division also has a pretty good annual show. So you may want to find out when your local division meets and go attend a meeting and see what you think.

Andy

Back