Newbie needs some help

twalker

Hi everyone,

I posted this in the 'Introduce Yourself' section as well seeing as how I'm real new here.

Just a bit to say hi to everyone and I'm hoping I can find some answers to my questions. I just picked up my first train set (N Scale) and wow... I'm like a kid all over again. I always loved trains and in my youth actually rode a freight train starting in Yuma AZ and wound up in Southern California. Long story for another time.

I'm very interested in putting together a group of trains along with some building styles that existed in the southern U.S. during the 20's and 30's and haven't a clue as to where to look in order to purchase these items. I'm a big fan of the music from that era so something like this would make a nice compliment to my studio.

Are there any online merchants that carry such items? I'm suspecting that there are as I've seen lots of folks building layouts from various time periods. I've been to a few sites such as N Scale Supply but from what I've seen they make it a bit difficult to find what I'm looking for.

Any advice would certainly be appreciated.

Much thanks,

Toby

Do you plan on modeling HO scale? Are you looking to model a specific railroad from back then or are you wanting to create your own railroad (freelance)? Since you are wanting to model in that time period, you will want steam locomotives. How much room depends on how big of a locomotive you would want to buy. For locomotives and rolling stock, theirs Walthers, Athearn, Bachman along with several others.

The Walthers "Big book" is kinda like a bible to us. It comes in an "HO Scale" version and a "N&Z scale" version.

Walthers can also be found here online with a search feature:
http://www.walthers.com/

Also, google search engine is your friend. simply go to google and type in what you are looking for and see what links come up. For example: "N scale track side shanty" and you will get directed to merchants who sell that item.

Here are some sited that might interest you :
http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Default.asp

http://www.wholesaletrains.com/NProducts2.asp?Scale=N&SPECIAL=0

Have fun and enjoy the hob by.
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Charles. I currently have an N Scale set. I suppose I would like to create something along the lines of a freelance using any of the rolling stock, locomotives and structures that were used during that time period in the southern U.S.

I've been to the Walthers site and while I could be wrong here I've found it a bit difficult to find what I'm looking for.

Perhaps it would easier if I knew which kind of train lines ran in that region during that time period. I think M&O was one along with Illinois Central.

I've been to the Walthers site and while I could be wrong here I've found it a bit difficult to find what I'm looking for.

At the top of the left margin on the WAlthers' site you will find a Search line..type in what you want and it will bring up the items -in all scales! select the one you want.
For instance "company house" turns up these pages and several options:
http://www.walthers.com/exec/search?quick=company+house

the chart shows the item, scale, price and whether or not in stock. If not in stock it should give you a link to hobby shop's websites who MIGHT still have it on the shelves.
Once you have used it a few times, it is easy to understand.
:)

This is the problem I seem to be having. While I know that the M&O line ran during that period it's difficult to pin down whether a piece of rolling stock I've found on line was from that period or another one.

Here's an example:

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/6-55688

From what I see here there's no indication as to when that hopper was manufactured or when it was in use.

You may have to do some searching online as to what railroads ran in the area you want to model. As for the rolling stock, you may have to do some research as to what type of cars were used back then.

Thanks Charles. I've already started doing some of that very research you're talking about. Turns out there were quite a few of those line running all through MS, GA, AL and the like. It shouldn't be too hard to nail something down... so to speak. ;)

With respect to the particular covered hopper example you showed, covered hoppers were rare or practically non-existant in the 1920s-30s. A lot of bulk commodities were shipped bagged or loose in boxcars.

The particular model is a 1950s design. If you look real careful at the model photo, you can actually just make out a 1956 "NEW" date in the car data below the number.

Researching appropriate cars for a particular time period, especially one further into the past can be tricky, but the result can be quite rewarding, learning and building knowledge about different railroads and car styles, and knowing that your fleet is very appropriate.

Older time periods like the 1920s can be tricky since [models of] equipment from the earliest part of the century isn't as plentiful as some more modern stuff, but suffice to say you'll be looking at primarily wooden cars (although some steel boxcars were constructed in the late 1920s as well). Covered hoppers would be practically non-existant, and open hoppers for coal, other bulk commodities will be small 2-bay steel designs.

Atlas is coming out with some boxcars of your time period in N scale. bachman makes a little 2-8-0 that is a gem, they also make a 4-6-0 that is equally as good, comes with a dcc decoder installed, but its easy to back date and make it a straight dc locomotive. Then Model power makes a wonderful 2-6-0 and a 4-4-0 american loco and they are great runners. I have some of all of the above, all N scale. Micro trains makes some great freight cars from the period you're modeling. bachman produced some old time freight cars, and if you watch ebay, you can find some of em, they have the trussrods on the bottom and brake wheels above the cars instead of on the sides. Passenger cars are readily avaible, bachman made some, watch ebay, and other manufacturers have made them also. Ask your local hobby shop folks, they can look it up and if they don't have it, will order what you need.
I'm modeling a logging RR short line and use the old style freight cars, and for log buggies have made a master and cast my own for what I need. It's available so don't worry about being able to find what you need. If you don't find it, let us know and we'll help you find it.

Back