Newbie layout

mecam

Hi guys, I'm pretty new to model railroads and here is my current layout that is about 80% complete on a 4x8 isulation board. I'm running four DCC engines including a Bachmann "Thomas the Train" converted to DCC using a Dynamis Controller.

I'm using E-Z tracks and will glue the track once the layout is proven reliable. So far everything is running smooth and just need to add the four switches and the center section. The Blue and Red sections are elevated at 2.5%grade to 4" high at the intersection. I will take real photos once completed.

eztracklayout.jpg

I count five turnouts. It also look forward to imagery showing how you populate the layout with people, scenery, structures, and such.

I count five turnouts. It also look forward to imagery showing how you populate the layout with people, scenery, structures, and such.

My bad, I actually have a manual turnout but I'll probably get the fifth one also so they are all DCC. They are just so expensive. I'm not that great of a modeller so my scenery, stuctures will probably not look real life. I just love watching the trains run. If I get really serious, I will build a permanent layout in the garage.

I'm working on a similar layout and got some feedback from this board. I'll share it with you because it helped me a lot. If you trace your way around the layout (counterclockwise), as long as you stay on the outer loops, you're fine. Once you get on the inner loop, there's no way out without backing up. You may want to add a crossover at the top of the dog bone.

Your layout, I don't know how you plan to run it or how long your trains will be, but backing out of a loop around a 180deg curve would be a challenge.

Doug

I run my trains clockwise. I designed the switches to where the trains requires to backup to get inside. The interloop I added is mainly for my boy's Thomas train to run by itself.

BTW, what is the proper way of running the trains in an oval, clockwise or counter clockwise?

There's really no "proper" way to run trains on an oval since real railroads have trains that run in both directions. I have trains running depending on where they come out of the yard or a siding so they run in both directions depending on what scenario I'm running.

You may want to rethink the idea if the grades and elevated section. A 2.5% grade on sharp curves is going to limit both the types of engines you can run and how long a train you can run. This may not be an issue if you only want to run small locomotives and short trains. Since you've set this up to allow your son's Thomas trains to run on that inner loop, the whole idea of scenery may not be very important but you're going to have a tough time getting more than a few buildings and some trees on a layout with that much track.

There's really no "proper" way to run trains on an oval since real railroads have trains that run in both directions. I have trains running depending on where they come out of the yard or a siding so they run in both directions depending on what scenario I'm running.

You may want to rethink the idea if the grades and elevated section. A 2.5% grade on sharp curves is going to limit both the types of engines you can run and how long a train you can run. This may not be an issue if you only want to run small locomotives and short trains. Since you've set this up to allow your son's Thomas trains to run on that inner loop, the whole idea of scenery may not be very important but you're going to have a tough time getting more than a few buildings and some trees on a layout with that much track.

Yeah, I notice it slows quite a bit on the climbing curve. I run the trains at 60% power just to help climb a little faster but it hauls a$$ on the decline. I'm thinking about redesigning it without any bridges. I run a 0-6-0 loco with a two gondolas and a caboose. I also run a Dash 8-40CW and SD40-2 with five 50' boxcars and caboose on each.

I changed the layout a bit to make it a lot easier for the climb. I have the trains going counterclockwise this time.

track2.jpg

Here's what I have done so far, just waiting for the middle section to arrive.

train1.jpg

train2.jpg

train3.jpg

train4.jpg

I'm gonna cover the pier and the open gap with some Woodland Scenic plaster cloth and make a hill out of it.

train5.jpg

-

Back