newbie here

kevinjr

hello just started into the world of HO trains and i need some advice first off i enjoy scenery as i have done it before with dioramas but i have a 3x10 table for my layout. I have bought up atlas code 83 track (flex) but i am stumped on how to make an interesting layout i want to model a pulp wood yard and maybe a grain or standard freight operation i live in northwest alabama so my engine will be norfolk southern i guess does anyone have any ideas to throw at me for a decent layout i dont want a spaghetti layout just some switches at the wood yard and a good mainline run thanks for any info

look for a place to model, then go off of that and see what is in that area. Also know what era and railroad. I knew I wanted to model modern BNSF in Arizona, but I didn't know what town, so I did some research and found a small town with a defect detector, a hight water detector and a bunch of other landmarks that caught my eye. It can also just be an area or state. I know someone who is just modeling Wisconsin, even though it is a little broad, they can still model all of their favorite WI railroads and put a bunch of different places around WI in one layout. Check out my YouTube account at the 2nd link below.

no i am going just dc as i have two power supplies to maybe run 2 trains still with a minimal of switching i dont want the trains to run at the same time figured i could have a spur and disconnect the power there till i get ready to run that unit. I have alco brand engines high nose my favorite oh and i want a mainline running around the layout if possible and i can also go longer than 10 feet if i need to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you go any wider than 3 feet? 18" radius track will technically fit, but it'll be at the very edge of the layout, leaving no room for an edge guard without the rolling stock's overhang hitting it. If you could go 4 feet wide, that would be a lot better.

layout

i can go 4 foot at one end would 15" turns on the other end be to tight or what rolling stock would i be limited to?

At 36 inches wide, you're better off with a shelf layout. Most (all?) modern equipment will have a hard time with 15-inch radius curves. Maybe you should consider N-scale.

Hi Kevin and welcome to the forum. Always glad to see another Bama boy :).

If I were you, I would get a book with track plans. In the blue banner top right of this page, there is a link to Model Railroad Books. The 101 Track Plans is on the first page and this book will give you a starting point for some ideas, big or little ;).

will 3' 4" leave enough for a little scenery around the edges?
An 18" radius turn will take up 36" at the center of the track. Add another inch, from the center, for clearence. You've now used up 38" which leaves you 1" for scenery. So...no, not really, but at least it will work.

yeah it kinda sux because i am against the wall so i dont have alot of options but i want a mainline for sure thanks for the help

Back