Newbie from Oregon

When my dad passed away, I inherited a few of his train pieces (some also went to an uncle). I have had a passing interest, I never actually been into scale railroading much. However, between getting some of my dad's pieces and my father-in-law becoming interested, I am taking more of a notice and an interest may be developing. Don't know if it will go anywhere (I'm not sure I can afford it as a hobby -- I like to eat) but I am at least looking into it at present.

Welcome to the forums. You'll find this is a great place to learn about model railroading and everybody here is willing to help out by answering any questions you may have, so don't be shy.

As to the cost of model railroading, yes it can be expensive. However, not everything has to be bought brand new and you don't have to buy the hobby shop out when you visit. Many members here sell items from time to time and at very reasonable prices too. There's also Ebay and other online sources. Most approach the hobby slowly by buying one item at a time over a period of time. That makes it much more affordable. Most of the large layouts you see pictures of are the result of many years of work and purchasing.

Also, there are the "armchair" modelers who may buy one item and spend a large amount of time detailing it to their liking. Others just enjoy reading about trains, real and model, in magazines and/or on the internet. Still others just spend time watching trains from safe areas and may spend the better part of a day or even weekend in an area just observing the prototypes.

A lack of a fat wallet doesn't mean you can't enjoy this great hobby in one way or another. There are many of us who get by on very little money spent enjoying trains, just as there are those who can afford to spring for half of a hobby shops inventory in one visit. Spend only what you can afford and don't get yourself in trouble by buying too much at once. Research before buying and you will get the most bang for you buck. The most important thing though is to just have fun!

Bob,

Thanks for the note and suggestions. Yea, I suspect that the internet will be my friend in trying to find money (although I'm not sure eBay is necessarily a good way to save money on model railroading, if my experiences in other areas is any indication. Again, as you say, it's a matter of doing your research first). As you may see in another post I just made, I have chosen to make things difficult for myself in terms of my choice of livery, not to mention the other criteria under which I find imposed upon me. Oh, well. I've never been one to do things the easy way (which may explain the long string of failures that follows me!!)

Back