Newbie from Deptford, NJ

rcracer

Hi All,
I'm a newbie to HO model railroading, I started my first pike. It's an 11'x18' 7 1/2" 'U' dogbone, I'm going to model the late 80's in freight only. I have the north wall benchwork done, this is in my garage. It will be a CSX line hauling coal and cattle, plus other industries. Will be using DCC system.:)

Welcome to the Forums, rcracer. This is a great place for model railroading with a lot of friendly, knowledgeable and talented folks willing to help out if needed. Another website to checkout is http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/. This is a totally free magazine published once a month on the Internet. Well worth a visit. Just to let you know, everyone loves pictures here!

By rcracer;

To the best of my knowledge, by the late 80's, the only cattle hauled by railroads were frozen in reefers.:eek::p

FWIW: I believe the last rail movement of cattle ended in 1987 or 1988. It was a regular move several times each week, for a Kosher meat processor, in Newark, NJ. It was normally handled on the rear of the Eastbound Conrail Mail train from Chicago. Upon arrival, a South Karney yard crew would grab the car and place it at the customers siding on the P&H Branch.

Joe

Thanks, Joe! That's one of the things I like about this site...............you can always learn something new. Must have been one of the last such things to occur in the country. Who would have ever thunk it?:p

Racer,

Welcome to the forums! People always love to look at photos, when you get to the point you want to post something. I'm up in Sparta.

Otis

Thanks, Joe! That's one of the things I like about this site...............you can always learn something new. Must have been one of the last such things to occur in the country. Who would have ever thunk it?:p

There was also some folklore involving this movement....supposedly, there was an escaped steer, that lurked about in the tall grass between Lane and WA5, in what was Waverly Yard until Conrail Closed it. It's about where the NJT/PA Newark Airport Station now locates. Can't vouch for it, but it's possible.:eek::eek::eek:

Joe

I'll again to post a picture

Back