Newb Layout Questions

Waeninzil

Hello all,

I got my old train set from when I was a kid back out a few weeks ago. And I think I am going to go crazy trying to get a good design for my space. I just can't make up my mind, I haven't been able to design anything that I like.

I have an 4' x 10' Table with one end that has a 3' x 2' "L" sticking off of it.

this is what I have so far. I don't want to load the table up with track, because I am actually getting it set up no just for the trains but also 50% because of the modeling aspect of the scenery and towns etc..

Again this is just a rough draft. And the bottom got cut off a bit.

The entire left vertical side is going to be elevated a couple inches on a hill, and then on the corners I will have a 2-4% incline/decline.

The "L" portion will be my train yard, and will be bigger, but you get the point.

I also attached a second design that I modified from one I found online. I like all the added options of the second plan. But I would like some feedback.

I am having a tough time picking my era still. (thinking sometime 50s-70s???)

I definitely want a logging/lumber industry. And maybe a coal industry if I can fit it in.

I also want a river or something somewhere.

Am I trying to cram too much in? Hey at least I didn't say I want a round house haha.

I am grateful for any suggestions you may have. I do believe the current layout is a little boring, but I don't know how to make it better.

Thanks!

- Thomas

This is your first post and mine too. I have a similar layout planned with similar dims. My layout is looking to be 12' x 4' with an L at the end, length is undecided. I like those pics. Good luck!!

Hi Thomas,

A common misconception is that more track equals less boredom as if running a train through the same scene on a different track makes it feel bigger. All this really does is make the scene more toy-like.

I have a couple of articles for you to look at. the first is my Beginner's Guide to Layout Design. IT takes about 5 minutes to read and will point you in the right direction to start.

The second is What is Staging and Why do I need it? This is where you really add variety to your layout.

The third is not a layout but a contest. Check out some of the designs here, especially the winners. Notice that they have a here to there feel.

Also, check out the free design software XtrkCAD. It is much more versatile and not limited to Atlas track or more importantly, Atlas geometry. It is worth the 4 hours or so it takes to run the tutorial.

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition to Chip's suggestions, the track plan would be much better with the figure 8 section gone from the center of the layout. You really do have too much mainline track and not enough industrial spurs, which why railroads exist. If you take out the figure 8, you can add at least three industrial spurs with runaround tracks and give your crews something to do. I'm a scenery guy like you and I'd guess that my track takes up less than 40% of my layout. I probably went overboard on the scenery aspect and could use a few more tracks, like a runaround track in my yard, but it's easy to get so much track that you have no room or time for scenery. Tracklaying is actually a very time consuming task, especially when you have things like crossings and lots of switches that lead to track that doesn't do anything but lead to other tracks. I've known guys with very complex track plans and their layout is still in the Plywood Pacific stage five years after they built the benchwork.

I found in designing my layout, which should be operational in about a year, that even with only a 6 by 3 space, a point-to-point layout provides a lot more opportunity than a continous loop. Also, try placing the main line, then the industries, and then the industy trackage. Do whatever is necessary. This is what the prototypes did. If you want more ideas, try Track Planning for Realistic Operation (model railroader books). It is very useful.

Back