New user from New Mexico, long time N and Nn3 modeler.

talladega208

Looking for help with my Atlas RS-11. I need a new chassis/motor with LED lighting to fit the C&NW rare body I have. I can only find the much older versions with traction tires and poor lighting. Is there a later Atlas chassis that will fit the RS-11 body with modern LED lights? Thanks.
IMG_1703.JPG

Copied (more or less) from your other thread, so you don't need to reply to it twice...or even once for that matter.

"Welcome."
So...why the Talledega? NASCAR fan maybe? Just curious 'cause I am/was a long-time sim-racer a couple or three years earlier in my life.

And are you going to toss up any Nn3 stuff? I'd love to see some of that.

Ok, now that's just cool. Glad to have you with us for sure.

I'm going to have to go find that issue, of course. :D

BTW, I also appreciate the Silver San Juan RGS plate, as Mallory Hope Ferrell's book on the RGS was the way I became a fan myself. Also, and as it happens, we discussed Narrow Gauge books in another new thread here just recently:

[personal aside: I always like seeing anything from the REA. A couple of my aunts worked for the agency during WWII out on the west coast, so it piques my interest]

Not my thread, but I imagine the OP will be happy to have you wade in too--there aren't many narrow gauge peeps around here I don't think, so the more the merrier. At least IMO.

Last edited:
Ok, I just got that 2009 issue of N-Scale Railroading, which I did NOT have, and had a gander at your layout. Very impressed, and that it's portable is a big plus too. Which begs one question: Have you brought it up to the Rocky Mtn. Train Show meet in Denver (early April this year), and did I somehow miss seeing it/you? Or is it something you are considering for the future?

If you ARE thinking about it, you might have a talk with the owner of Wig-Wag in Albuquerque*. He has, in the past, basically brought his entire store up to Denver for just the weekend, and he might have space for you too in his large trailer.

*yes...I did have to look the proper spelling up...meh

---------

And one other thought: Our guy "747flier" is loosly modeling the White-Pass in HOn3 and you two might want to compare notes, re: The photo of yours on p. 37 of the magazine article.

His primary thread is here: https://modelrailroadforums.com/for...narrow-gauge-rolling-stock-3d-printing.35347/

In any case, and given your first post, are you thinking of yourself as more of a N scaler (standard gauge) these day? Or still both?

Last edited:
Looking for help with my Atlas RS-11. I need a new chassis/motor with LED lighting to fit the C&NW rare body I have. I can only find the much older versions with traction tires and poor lighting. Is there a later Atlas chassis that will fit the RS-11 body with modern LED lights? Thanks.View attachment 172726
I was unaware that Atlas had ever used traction tires. For lighting you could easily replace the single center bulb with an LED. Or cut off the fiber optic on either end before the "lenses", file an LED flat and glue them directly to one another. Use the fiber optic channel to run the wires to either end.

I don't know when Atlas did the last run of the RS-11, but below is a diagram of the ones I am familiar with. It is interesting it considers the long hood end to be the front.

Edit. I looked it up. Last run of the RS-11 was year 2000. It did come in C&NW paint and did include golden yellow LED lighting. Looks like your model. Cannot find a parts diagram for it. Would suggest to contact Atlas.
8768_TQ.jpg

Assembly%20Explosion%20Atlas%20RS11.jpg

Last edited:

Back