New to Model railroading

mrbronco93

I am new to the hobby and need some help with tracks. After doing some initial research I want to stick with Atlas for track and Locomotives (HO). Which is better or the advantages of code 83 or true track? Since they both have code 83 what is the reason or or advantage of true track.

I am new to the hobby and need some help with tracks. After doing some initial research I want to stick with Atlas for track and Locomotives (HO). Which is better or the advantages of code 83 or true track? Since they both have code 83 what is the reason or or advantage of true track.
stick with a certain manufactuer lol [ place maniacal laugh here] :p as soon as you get to admit that you are hooked you will find out that

1 ATLAS
2 MTH
3 ATHEARN
4 BOWSER
5 BACHMAN
6 PROTO
& MORE i cant list make great loco's in terms of code 83 some guys here can help since they use that
but you will find that the more you get into it the more you need to ahhhhhhhhhh

Last edited by a moderator:
plan plan plan !!!!!! did i say plan . start out small & get used to wireing & running ur locos & after u get into senery THE LOOP OF DEATH WILL GET OLD soooo thats when you need to go an operational layout cause after you get into the operations side of things , you will be hooked its great!!! but dont have plans of multi decked . 4 roundhouses . yards & passenger stations cause when u take on to much the dream dies soo with that being said . welcome & ask away , no question is dumb , have fun , its a hobby so go for it

I have always used Atlas code 83 track. It looks prototypical in terms of rail height. I mainly use Athearn and Proto 2000 locomotives, though since I have gotten back into the hobby I am looking into Atlas, Kato and others since they all have improved their product over the years. Now just starting out there are a lot of options such as track and switches, DC or DCC (digital command control) brands of locos and rolling stock.

However first thing first, you need to find out how much space you have to work with and then come up with a track plan. Are you going to do a switching style layout, around the room shelf? Modern or older
equipment? Prototype or freelance railroad? Let us know as there are plenty of friendly folk here that can help you begin you layout.

And welcome to the hobby and the forum.

There is no difference between the two Atlas code 83 tracks except one, true track, has a molded "ballasted" base attached. I would go so far as to recommend the use of the Atlas code 83 flex track. This are sections 3ft long and allow you to bend the track to any radius needed.

Do you plan on sectional or flex track? Atlas is time proven. Personally, Ilike MicroEngineering. Atlas, Athearn and Proto 2000 engines are probably the best, especially if you are new to the hobby. Welcome. And enjoy. Phil

I'm fond of Athearn Genesis locomotives.
I bought a BLI Paragon2 steamer recently and it's very nice.

I agree that Code 83 looks a bit more prototypical...if you get down to track level and concentrate on the track alone. However, Code 100 isn't all that bad, and may have some advantages in operational reliability. That said, I am using Code 100 for my current layout simply because I have been in the hobby off and on for about 57 years, and have a lot of track (both nickel-silver and brass!) plus turnouts galore that I have reused over the years. On a couple of sidings and a Walthers 90 ft turntable, I have Code 83.

Starting from scratch, I might have gone to Code 83. If you should happen to pick up some older AHM locomotives, rolling stock, etc, with the oversized flanges on the wheels, then Code 100 is your best bet.

When will code 100 be prototypical? I've noticed railroads using heavier rail and six spike tie plates as everything is getting heavier.

Rail Code size and scale (HO) can be converted to prototype rail weight. Here are a couple of conversions:
http://www.proto87.com/model_rail_sizes.html
http://www.brunelhobbies.com.au/ME/railFacts.htm

You will need to look up what rail weight prototype railroads use. The PRR mains through Pennsylvania use a very heavy rail (152 & 155lb) even back in the steam days that is close to Code 100 in HO scale.

Here is more info:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060727063908AA35NR0
http://prr.railfan.net/standards/standards.cgi

You have gotten some answers, but I don't think they all answer your basic question....
Regular Code 83 alone also has flex track...comes in 3' lengths and flexes any way you want it. You can creat any radius of curve you want with it. You can reduce the number of connections {rail joiners of each section} with it. You can do almost anything you want with it. Xuron makes rail nippers to easily cut the rails to the length you want.

Tru track {TT} comes with molded base and is supposed to be easier to connect. I have found Bachmann's EZ Track {same idea} to NOT be so "easy" to connect. TT is limited in curve radius it provides and you are locked into what they sell. It has NO flex track,,,but TT DOES have a straight long section you could cut to various lengths for straight connection...it won't flex though. Cutting the base AND track of TT can be harder to get a good cut than plain code 83.

I would go with plain code 83 and some sort of track bed...either cork or Woodland Scenics Foam track bed. I used WS foam for mine, and Atlas code 100 track, but next layout will have Atlas Code 83 regular track!!!

Welcome to the hobby! Have FUN and enjoy it!!!
;)

Back