New to here and trains

Probably sometime in the 70s or early 80’s I’m guessing I had a train though I was honestly too young to appreciate it and I’m not even sure what happened to it or when other then it was easily coming off the tracks It was a oval layout with a crossover through at somewhere maybe almost midpoint. Thinking back to that train I had I wanted to get some sort of train. Just a few weeks ago I went online and bought a new Bachmann set. I know it’s basic but it caught my interest to look into trains in 2024. I have yet to set it up but I went on a well known buy and sell platform to look for train items and to just see what was out there. There I found a locomotive that was like I had as a child, a Lionel Chessie GP-9 5-5612. It came with two ! So now I’m curious now how old it actually is. How far will I go ? Not sure - I’m 53, married to the same woman since 1990, w 3 children and 4 grandchildren and a 5th grandchild in June/July. Let’s see what happens! Thanks for allowing me to join ! Even if the Chessie doesn’t run it’s something to have from a time ago.

Attachments

• IMG_0147.jpeg
    IMG_0147.jpeg
    563.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0034.jpeg
    IMG_0034.jpeg
    575.3 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
other then it was easily coming off the tracks It was a oval layout with a crossover through at somewhere maybe almost midpoint.
I think you will find the new Bachmann will stay on the track a lot better than those toy sets from the 1970s.

But if not, derailments are usually caused by something that is simple to fix like a wheel that is too wide or too narrow on the axle, piece of track with a kink, a wheel set not pivoting properly, or the like. But, if there are issues, tell us about them and we can help diagnose.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums Bannisteranthony1970! I started out not quite 2 years ago in the hobby with that same Bachmann set. I've moved onto bigger and better trains, but I still use it for my Xmas tree train. :D

Back