New SHelf Layout Plans

Looks good!! My only suggestion on the backdrops, is they look too shiny. If you're re-ordering prints, I would get a matte finish on the photos.

Yeah I'm looking into that. Part of the effort on the website is to keep prices down. My print company doesn't offer the sizes in matte. Part of it is also that I was using a big flash.

Ordered the new ones with a lustre finish. This finish is not quite as flat as a matte but resists the glare. It is printed somehow so the paper is imperceptibly rougher. It allows for good saturation, while avoiding the glare effect you see above. Plus it cuts down on the visibility of fingerprints.

Hi 402 & Motley,
The simplest way to resolve the shine of the prints is to go to most any art supply store or order on-line and get Matt photo spray. for an area that big I get two cans just in case one won't cover everything. The Matt will really cut down on any shinny surface.
Also if there are areas that you want to be even duller just let the first coat dry good and spray it again. Just be sure the temperature is about 70* to 80* to prevent the spray from turning milky.

That's a whole lot cheaper than having other prints made.

Be sure to also use masking tape to cover the rail heads and switches first or possibly just use some news paper over laped to keep the rail/switches free from spray.

Best of luck.

So I reprinted the backdrop with the lustre finish. Still a little glare from the flash. I am going to go get some matt spray tomorrow to finish it up.

This is a panel kit. For me the best route was actually to use glue on the back f the photos. It allowed me to slide the panel up to the next one and position it before really sticking. Double sided tape does work but not real well. I have also seen some sites advertise to use glue sticks but this does not allow the panel to slide a little prior to sticking.

I also put a diamond in where there previously had been two number 6 switches. That setup required clearing the track on the left prior to using the one on the right. Kind of a pain.

Yeah I'm much happier with it. I am looking into some lighting. The layout is on a shelf and vertical space is severely limited. Home Depot has some plug in flourescent set ups. Anyone got any ideas.

So a lot has changed with the way I make the backdrops. I now have my own printer for printing rolls up to 100" long. It also means I can order the paper I want. They have a great matte paper that I use for my backdrops and the ones I sell. It has been really popular. I also shot a new backdrop of a sawmill that will be replacing this one. Will hopefully have it up by end of month. Will post pics.

Guess its been awhile since I posted in here. The layout hasn;t had a lot of work done. The backdrop business keeps me pretty busy as does the one year old.

I am working on the yard on the other side of the basement. All the plans I come up with allow plenty of storage tracks but where the branch interchanges cars with the main I have to use a tail track to pick the cars off and move them into the yard. Unfortunately there is only enough room on the tail track for one or two cars plus a loco. This means it takes a long time to pick up and drop off at the junction. Would this become a pain to an operator, or is it better to stretch out the session?

I think it's just cause I don't have the patience to sit there and learn. Don't get me wrong, the software seems like it really helps. I don't know, maybe I'll tough out the patience here soon. After all I need to start mapping out my layout.

Have you used the tutorials? They help a great deal. In fact after starting the tutorials, after about 30 minutes, the "lights came on", and I've been happily using them ever since. In fact on my layout, which is 17' x 23', I've even drawn on separate layers not just the plan, but the wiring and the benchwork.

Hang in there and try again. If you need assistance there are several folks here who use this and will be more than happy to help.

Haven't updated this in awhile I guess. My buddy is coming by in a couple days to design and likely build the yard and interchange with the main line. Hopefully having a yard will make the layout a little more usable for operations soon.

I am looking to put in a propane dealer. It will allow me to run a few tank cars on the layout which adds variety and I likehow they look. I am looking for a kit with a relatively small footprint. Anyone know of any propane/compressed gas retail kits out there? Or something I could work with to make it work?

Thanks

There's a propane dealer down the UP's Aberdeen branch in Idaho which consists of a propane tank on concrete pylons, an equipment shed for pumps, and a siding long enough to hold one propane car. Oh, there's also a chain-link fence around it with gates for service trucks, and for the railroad car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys,

Been working on the new yard for last couple of weeks. Here's just about the final version. Only thing I think will be changed is the lead from the branch will come from further to the back to allow a greater radius into the yard. Right now the intermodals derail and the center beam flats go way over the outside rail and they rub a little bit.

Hey guys,

Been working on the new yard for last couple of weeks. Here's just about the final version. Only thing I think will be changed is the lead from the branch will come from further to the back to allow a greater radius into the yard. Right now the intermodals derail and the center beam flats go way over the outside rail and they rub a little bit.

I am not sure if your still looking for a propane dealer but here is one that walthers made a while ago. You can still find them around on Ebay and various hobby shops.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/wrr/wrr3011.htm

I know I have a set of propane tanks and piping too. Also Plastruct makes propane tank kits.

I know there is a propane place that the Pioneer Valley serviced a while ago but its prob to big for what you want.

Hey Mark how goes it. I will check out the kit. Selective compression is a great tool for this hobby. I am looking to probably model Arrow Gas. It is right off the mainline and while not actually served by rail I can fit it in.

How goes your model?

Hey Mark how goes it. I will check out the kit. Selective compression is a great tool for this hobby. I am looking to probably model Arrow Gas. It is right off the mainline and while not actually served by rail I can fit it in.

How goes your model?

Not really doing much modeling lately as the last things I finished up this past week were 3 building kits I got cheap from my distributor and decided to build them instead of selling them.

You can see them here.

http://mgwsy.smugmug.com/Other/Temp

Maybe eventually I can put them on a layout if I ever get to that point.

Back