(New)Old Yard Area now for Diesel Service pt.2

RexHea

RAIL BENDER
I have continued working on the diesel area since I first opened part I. This is indeed a miracle, in that I didn't wander off into something else:D . The area is still being transformed from the old yard, but these photos will show you where I am at now. After this area is completed, I will be working on the area for the passenger station and scene that is in the bottom left of the photos. I hope you enjoy these and thank you for the great replies in Part I.
The diesel service building was built 5 years ago in 1952 (very fast clock time) during the time that many railroads were taking giant steps into the transition from steam to diesel. It is operated under contract by the BC&W Railways and provides full service to all regional railroads using the latest technologically advanced equipment (we even have an electric welder). With a staff of 26 full time employees and an average of 7 inmate helpers from our local Sheriffs department, quality service and maintenance is always guaranteed.

Picture_0205.JPG

See the ground maintenance man on top of the sand tower. Danged pipe clogged up! :D
Picture_0219.JPG

Picture_0201.JPG

Picture_0211.JPG

Picture_0239.JPG

He's trying to get you to come on in. Dang man! What's the holdup?
Picture_0236.JPG

Picture_0237.JPG

Still busy during second shift.
Picture_0202.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Beauty. I love the lighting in the service facility and the little scenes you've set up all over.

Excellent work! Got pics of how you put the lights in... it's an upcoming project for me so tips welcomed!

:) (BIG SMILE)Thanks everyone. It was difficult to dirty the shop up, but that is part of it. Since it is right beside the Puffers service area, it got a little more crud. I had to use things/figures I had on hand. I was waiting on the Walthers Shinohara TO's to come in so I could make a bunched, on-line order for stuff. Guess I might as well go ahead since the TO's are delayed again :mad: .

If you're curious, the ground work was done using real dirt then the grass or slag added as needed.

Rico: I tried something different for the lighting this time. I used ModelPower's package of lights. The bulbs are in little holders that have sticky doublesided foam on the bottoms (They are very sticky). The lights are stuck to the bottom of the roof with all the wires paralleled together to a feed pair (ran down a support beam that goes to a 12volt bus under the layout. They are small and not that bright on 12volt, so you may need to use an extra. They main thing is getting the effect;) .

Rex, I think you did a good job of making the engine shop building look used but not abused. I always have a little twinge too when I start weathering something I worked so hard to paint nice but your work looks great. I've seen those Model Power light strips and wondered how well they'd work. Looks like they are just about right for the shops, which always seemed pretty dark on the inside to me. As I remember, those light strips are pretty cheap too, so a winner all the way around.

Thank you Jim/Scott/Paul. I appreciate the compliments.
I forgot to point out to those interested in the ModelPower light bulbs. There are 6 being used in the diesel shop. All the rest seen are reflections in the glass. This will give you some idea of how many you may need. The bulbs physical size is very small with a base ~1/2 smaller than a dime and they sell for $17 per 24ea MSRP. Also, my lights are connected to 12volts, but are good 12-16v, ie more volts=brighter lights (also quicker burnout:(:D )

Last edited by a moderator:

Back