New locomotive

DakotaLove39

Always Improvising
Hey all.

Today I got myself a pretty-lookin P2K GP38-2 ( BNSF #2099). It's a beauty for sure.

One thing I am curious about. When you get a brand-new loco, is it smart to run it through its paces for a while? I mean, taking it easy like you would with a brand-new car?

Secondly, this particular loco comes with a few detail parts to be added by the consumer. "Some assembly required" is not hard for me, but in this case is it wise to glue these detail parts to the painted shell? I have a steady hand and I'm used to using plastic cements, but I know the kind of distortion that stuff can wreak on paint..

I run them thru all their functions right ot of the box. a few laps around the layout just to see if it stays on tracks then a few laps at Full speed, med speed etc... Its not going to break anything. I glue all my detail parts to the shells. the only time I dont is if it will complacate when I have to remove the shell. I tend to use plane old testors orange tube as it does not "fog up" the plastic.

just my prefrence, to each his own...
Trent

If you want, you can buy a bottle of Testors Clear Parts cement & window maker... Though it turns out glossy, if you overdo it an make the cement visible, it will NOT craze the plastic, or paint...

Back